PoultryChat
can you wash eggs before selling them. - Printable Version

+- PoultryChat (http://www.poultrychat.com)
+-- Forum: :: Chickens (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Eggs - Questions & Answers (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: can you wash eggs before selling them. (/showthread.php?tid=7608)

Pages: 1 2 3

can you wash eggs before selling them. - Milly - 16-12-2009

When I bring my eggs in they are often dirty, so I feel that I can't sell them in this condition, therefore I scrub them under the tap before selling them. I know that it is unwise to wash eggs that are going into the incubator to illiminate the risk to the chicks. Is there any risk by washing them for human consumption.

- eggy - 16-12-2009

If the eggs are dirty, I always wash them. Doubt whether washing them does any harm.

- LiamOhara - 16-12-2009

I seem to remember reading if you wash eggs, that it removes some kind of protective layer.

Here's a quote from one of my books, "The porosity also makes it unwise to wash eggs - if they are very dirty, brush or wipe them instead" - Keeping Chickens - Jeremy Hobson, Celia Lewis.

Also a quote from the same book about the egg industry, "In the UK, eggs denoted as class A are the highest quality possible and may not be cracked, should have a normal shell and should not be washed - it is considered preferable to produce a clean, quality egg in the first place, as this indicates higher standards of production."

To be honest I don't know, but there must be a reason they don't do it.

- Teazel - 16-12-2009

I usually wipe mine with a damp cloth. When I was a kid and collected eggs on a farm for sale. We used to wash them in warm water, that was when hens were still allowed to lay in boxes with straw in so they were sometimes a bit grubby. I don't remember anyone getting ill, but maybe we know a bit more now:001_unsure: I was told to keep duck eggs clean as their shells are porous

- Milly - 16-12-2009

they have a lovely new shed with nest boxes but no-matter how many times I clan them out they soil the nest boxes. Its not ppor hygiene why the eggs are dirty.

- LiamOhara - 16-12-2009

[quote name='Milly']they have a lovely new shed with nest boxes but no-matter how many times I clan them out they soil the nest boxes. Its not ppor hygiene why the eggs are dirty.[/QUOTE]

Please, don't think I was suggesting that! Just quoting Smile Do any of them sleep in the boxes?

- Maximoss - 16-12-2009

I think it must be to do with the time of year and how wet it has been. My eggs were always clean in the summer but are often dirty now even when I've just cleaned them out. I tend to wipe mine with a damp piece of kitchen towel.

Hope this helps.

- EmeraldChick - 16-12-2009

My eggs would tend to be dirty every now and again but more with muddy footprints rather than poo!!!Mucky girls!

- eggy - 17-12-2009

[quote name='eggy']If the eggs are dirty, I always wash them. Doubt whether washing them does any harm.[/QUOTE]

When I said wash i meant wipe with a damp cloth under a running tap. Is this the same as wash ?

- Milly - 17-12-2009

[quote name='LiamOhara']Please, don't think I was suggesting that! Just quoting Smile Do any of them sleep in the boxes?[/QUOTE]

Hi thats the problem they do sleep in the boxes and with all this wet weather its worse. No, I don't think that you were suggesting that my birds were un clean, I should have explained myself better.

- Squizzers - 17-12-2009

The problem with washing eggs is that it does remove the 'bloom' on the egg which is a protective barrier against bacteria. If you get the temps wrong when washing/wiping them because of the way the egg shell is made, the bacteria from the poop/mud goes into the egg rather than just staying on your cloth!

It is one of the reasons we always say "don't allow your birds to sleep in the nest boxes". Perhaps Milly if you closed the boxes off at night, so that they slept in the coop area instead you might have cleaner eggs?

- Milly - 17-12-2009

Yes I will see if I can fix something up to prevent them sleeping in there. Thanks.

- chickenmum - 17-12-2009

Yes, mine have footmarks on them rather than actual dirt. You can sometimes see the scratches when they have first been laid before they cool down and harden somewhat. Not explaining that very well!

- chicken_house_man - 17-12-2009

if you wash eggs they are then class b which is for industrial processing not food use.

- bantamgirl - 17-12-2009

Theoretically you shouldn't need to wash them but life just isn't like that, particularly if your hens are free ranging in all the mud we're surrounded by at the moment. I give mine a quick wipe if there is anything obvious on them and I'm going to be giving them away, otherwise I don't bother.