Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nearly there
Hi

As I told you last year we have moved to Spain and have a small  farm which we are slowly bringing back to life.

Our Poultry enclosure is almost complete, as I speak the other half is extending the fencing another three foot higher and two foot under the ground.  The housing is almost complete. We have three houses all brick built, specially made doors for each animal type and a special ondaline  insulated roofing, which arrived next week
  • Chicken house   suitable for up to 12 Hens
  • Duck House       Suitable for up to 6
  • Pygmy Goat House  for 3          Yes I know there not poultry BUT  they are  so cute!
I know get to the question

I have never had ducks before.   I do have a small pond, which we have made from a left over well ring. It holds water fine and we have a drainage tube attached to feed the vegetable garden.

Do I need a ramp for the ducks.   I cant make the water too deep because of the chickens and goats but deep enough for ducking!

No idea about ducks sugar mouse, but welcome back. Would love to see photos of your new home. X
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
It will depend on the size/type of ducks you are keeping and the height of the 'walls' of the pond.  Domestic ducks aren't very good flyers in some cases and are reluctant to flap/fly on to or off their pond.  They prefer to walk.  My Calls have a ramp up and in to the pond and the water is always right up to the top of the pond walls so they sort of just swim straight off and plop on to he floor.  Hope that makes sense ??

I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

mine used to swim in a paddling pool,   but they used to pull the stoppers out and the water kept disappearing  (I spent a lot of time telling my daughter off for doing it until I actually saw the ducks pulling at the stoppers!)      

The sides of the paddling pool were not very high tho.       Where are the photos laugh

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going