Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bantam eggs
I wondered if anyone can help i've been looking at lots of different bantam varieties such as wyandotte and pekins but i never seem to find any information of eggs sizes for the breeds. I'm trying to find the best of both worlds, a small chicken which lays a big egg! I believe bantam wyandottes lay similar sized eggs to the large fowl variety? Also would large fowl such as brahmas be able to share a pen (not coop) with bantam varieties?

Hope someone can help and sorry if this the wrong section for this question. Thank you!
I have Wyandotte and Orpinton bantams. The orpinton lay a slightly larger egg at about 1.33 oz.
Hi,alot of large chooks,like brahmas and orpingtons and cochins etc,will happily live with other breeds,large and small,as they are really gentle giants.
I know I posted this recently but will post again re egg sizes of bantams compared to shop bought eggs.Can be found [URL="http://www.poultrychat.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=6605&d=1209670937"]here[/URL] Left to right shop bought egg,bantam dotte takes middle two and followed by jap bantam egg,
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
The only problem with mixing bantams with LF is if you have a cock.. a LF Brahma is big and could cause a little Banty to go off her legs if her tried to jump her! Otherwise if just hens, they are very mild tempered

Bantam Dotte eggs are nowhere near the size of LF eggs. I think Bantam Light Sussex lay a good size egg.
hey guys thank you for the fast reply, havn't been on the net for a few days. There is a cockrel but he isnt a very manly if you know what i mean, so i'd imagine bantam hens would be ok, especially as they'll be able to hide under the ark.

Zenith the dotte eggs were they wyandotte? Sorry new to the chicken thing, also i wondered which of the following would you suggest for their temperment/egg size;

Bantam light sussex

Bantam Brahma

Bantam Orpington

Bantam Wyandotte

Bantam Pekins

Cheers
[quote name='jam-']hey guys thank you for the fast reply, havn't been on the net for a few days. There is a cockrel but he isnt a very manly if you know what i mean, so i'd imagine bantam hens would be ok, especially as they'll be able to hide under the ark.

Zenith the dotte eggs were they wyandotte? Sorry new to the chicken thing, also i wondered which of the following would you suggest for their temperment/egg size;

Bantam light sussex

Bantam Brahma

Bantam Orpington

Bantam Wyandotte

Bantam Pekins

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Yes dotte eggs, Wyandotte

Other two I'd recommend would be L/sussex good temperment/eggs Pekins excellent temperment/eggs fair size for little bird.

Brahma and Orps I can't comment on as Iv'e never had them,but others will share their views.
bantam brahma lay eggs slightly bigger than the pekin, breed is very docile and friendly. My brahma eggs tend to be speckled. I am told they go broody, but I haven't yet had that happen. At the moment its an egg a day.

pekins are lovely characters but do go broody so don't expect eggs all the time. I do find them a bit sparky

sorry, can't comment on the rest of them.
My only comment really would be that you have wyandottes and pekins which are notorious for going broody at the drop of a hat, which means no eggs.....and if brahmas are the same, you potentially have 3 breeds not laying.....but then again sussex tend to sit too!

my only other comment, would be to not set your heart on particluar breeds as you may find it difficult to get them.....
[quote name='Twigs']My only comment really would be that you have wyandottes and pekins which are notorious for going broody at the drop of a hat, which means no eggs.....and if brahmas are the same, you potentially have 3 breeds not laying.....but then again sussex tend to sit too!

my only other comment, would be to not set your heart on particluar breeds as you may find it difficult to get them.....[/QUOTE]

This is very true - I'm revising my plans on an hourly basis!

Latest - I've found a breeder of Ancona bantams less than 10 miles from me. He's in the Practical Poultry Utility Register, and says his birds are bred to produce 6 eggs a week each - sounds good!

I've also left a message with a breeder of RIR, Black Wyandotte and Australorp bantams in Forfar - who I found through a diligent search of the Scottish National Show catalogue - 32 miles from me. Some of each should make a nice little mixed flock of layers!
If you would like you're Bantam to be productive then you really are looking at the LS or Dottes, though both do tend to broodiness but lay good size eggs the rest of the time and have nice calm temperments.

Brahmas and Pekins also hyave lovely temperments but are less productive. Even les productive are the orpies!!
Does anyone have any experience of Ancona bantams? They look pretty, and are reputed not to be too nervous and flighty - comments?
[quote name='rlucas']This is very true - I'm revising my plans on an hourly basis!

Latest - I've found a breeder of Ancona bantams less than 10 miles from me. He's in the Practical Poultry Utility Register, and says his birds are bred to produce 6 eggs a week each - sounds good!

I've also left a message with a breeder of RIR, Black Wyandotte and Australorp bantams in Forfar - who I found through a diligent search of the Scottish National Show catalogue - 32 miles from me. Some of each should make a nice little mixed flock of layers![/QUOTE]

sorry, but does anyone else think RLucas is slaloming down that slippery slope!!? :thumbup:

How many chickens did you say you were getting??:tongue_smilie:
[quote name='Cheepers']sorry, but does anyone else think RLucas is slaloming down that slippery slope!!? :thumbup:

How many chickens did you say you were getting??:tongue_smilie:[/QUOTE]

LOL and should he get stuck,he's on the right forum for help with a push.:thumbup:
Aaaaarrrgggghhhhh!