Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing eggs
A friend of mine today said that I should store my eggs in the fridge, since I have a cockerel. Is this correct, as I usually just store them in a box on the kitchen worksurface. He's thinking that once the weather warms up I might find a chick when I crack the egg! Confusedcared:  I didn't think incubation was that easy!!

I think you are quite safe the temps here never hit's high enough.  Confusedmile: Eggs were stored long before we had fridges and you wont find them in the fridge section in supermarkets. Wink

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
On the other hand, the supermarket chickens don't see a rooster, do they? But I still think I'll keep them on the worksurface unless anyone else says otherwise...

considering the temp in an incy has to be 37.5 or 3 weeks and most homes are between 19 and 23 degrees there doesn't seem a lot of hope of an egg starting to develop even from a fertile egg.  Even in a heatwave you would be lucky to see 32 in this country  Wink

they feel cold to the touch most of the time ... If you listen to all the cooks/chefs they say you should always use eggs at room temperature not out of the fridge...

ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
I never put eggs in the fridge.   They were never meant to be that cold......

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Quote:On the other hand, the supermarket chickens don't see a rooster, do they? But I still think I'll keep them on the worksurface unless anyone else says otherwise...

Don't tell Tesco that  Confusedmile: I recall a post not long back about someone hatching eggs from Tesco.
and it was a horse Confusedcared: :hysterical

ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
:hysterical

Quote:and it was a horse Confusedcared: :hysterical

laugh It was a chick I believe you can read about it here  
I can't see any way they could incubate on the worktop. When I candled my eggs today they feel very warm to the touch.....

have always kept mine at room temp.None of mine has developed little Samsons or Kellogs as far as i know.