Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cherries in Jars
I thought some of you might be interested to see how we go about storing fruit for the winter out here.  We do apricots, plums, nectarines and peaches the same way in a sugar solution although with cherries the stones are left in.

I used to disinfect the jars in the bath first with Milton but now I put the Milton in the cooking pot and then boil it up for the cooking process as well - waste not want not :001_tt2:

The jars are turned upside down after cooking to help seal them.

The whole process takes about six hours starting with the picking and waiting for the fire to cool down enough to be able to get the jars out

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

that looks brilliant Zoe,  but do you mean you cook the fruit with the milton?!
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Oops, no!  The jars are put in the pot with Milton to sterilise them, jars are then taken out minus the water so all water remains in the cooking pot.  Jars are then filled with fruit and sugar solution, lidded and then put back in the pot, that has the Milton in it and then cooked - make sense?

so you cook the fruit actually in the jars?
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
that looks like a good cherry harvest.

Yes, the water is heated to boiling and then we stop putting any more wood on - leave it to cool down and then take the jars out

Quote:so you cook the fruit actually in the jars?
Well I never.     My cherry tree never seems to have any cherries on it  Sad

You must be like me and like cherries or do you sell them Zoe.?

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
That's our Christmas pressies sorted then Zoe laugh I remember my nan bottling fruit - that's all I can remember though ... not what sort they were or how she did it. you'll have to write a book Zoe, I mean, all this time on your hands :hysterical

ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
They aren't for sale - gives me 'fresh' fruit through the winter but anyone who comes to visit is welcome to a jar

look, you are going to stop showing all this lovely food and then saying come and get it, or I will have to go and but a passport and air ticket,  Big Grin don't you know I'm trying to diet?

seriously though looks far more appetiseing (sp) than my dehydrated fruit, maybe I should invest in a firepit next. Big Grin