• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dehydrator.General recipes
have been experimenting and...

the dehydrator works well for crystalising as well

have yet to refine the best times but for

ginger

clean and cut ginger into small thin slices

boil gently in sugar syrup for 10 minutes, allow to cool

repeat boiling and cooling until 90% of water has gone from syrup and it starts crystalising on cooling

spread ginger on nonstick parchment separating slices to allow air movement

dry on 45 degrees for 6-8 hours turn and dry other side for further 4-6 hours

store in airtight glass jar once cooled.

I haven't tried yet but imagine similar method will work for angelica just adjusting times

How long did the boiling go on for Goldilocks? I know you said until it crystalizes, but can you remember how long?

You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
The first time you boil it for 20 minutes then

boil it twice a day for just a few minutes each time

it takes about 4 days to get to crystalising point.

thank you Smile

squizzers
I did the dogs some liver over the weekend.70C for 10hrs....nom nom nom.

They cetainly enjoyed some on our pitstop on yesterdays walk.

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
I am planning on going to Morroco in January next year and have been advised to take as much of my meat and food  as I can with me.

I suspect that drying it will be the way to go and that way there won't be too much weight or spoilage! Reckon I could make up stew mix with dried veg and meat/fish/chicken into vacuum packs and just throw them into the cupboard for whenever!

so keep the recipes rolling!
squizzers
Thinking of doing chicken strips overnight tonight.

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Mine has just broken down! Am gutted!

So am looking at getting something like the Excalibur 4 or 5 tray - but there is a huge difference in price between them! Mind you the 5 tray is the larger machine, but I think I could get by with the 4 tray and just do more drying.

squizzers
What make is yours Squizz? This is the second one isnt it?

Ive got the Andrew James with timer.This one has 5 trays.

I cannot comment on reliability yet but I use another forum whose members have the A.J. but without timer,theirs run practically 24/7 and have no problems which is why i bought this one.

Yup mine is an Andrew James and yes they have replaced the base before and are doing so again, in spite of the fact that my machine is out of warranty. I can't ask for more than that! I phoned them after I posted the last bit and they told me they will put a new base in the post. I asked them to please check it thoroughly. I suspect that it was a bad batch that came through, as others have had no problems with them.

I can't fault Andrew James for customer service - first class!

squizzers
Quote:Yup mine is an Andrew James and yes they have replaced the base before and are doing so again, in spite of the fact that my machine is out of warranty. I can't ask for more than that! I phoned them after I posted the last bit and they told me they will put a new base in the post. I asked them to please check it thoroughly. I suspect that it was a bad batch that came through, as others have had no problems with them.

I can't fault Andrew James for customer service - first class!
That's good to know..just in case!!
The chicken strips are good,well..the dogs think so.

I woke up in the night to the smell of chicken cooking,very odd.

Im thinking an extra hour or so wouldnt have gone amiss,sausages next. :drool:

ive just spotted some teflon mesh sheets which would be useful when drying small stuff.I did wonder if normal  sheets would stop the air flow but these will be ideal.

tell me more 

i had visions of using non stick baking parchment with holes pricked all over to help circulation 

mesh sounds much simpler

I saw them on Amazon Goldilocks,2 different sizes.They will need cutting to shape.

They would be useful when drying herbs as im sure the leaves would fall through the drying trays