Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids Due
I suspect/hope I will just know when the time is right but thought I would see if there are any pearls of wisdom that could help.

The first of my four goats is due to have kids from about 23 Feb. up to 2 March.  We have a stable ready for her and she will be in with a friend who is due a week later - we have a divider all ready for when the time comes so mum will not be disturbed by the other adult goat. Whatever happens, she and her friend will be kept in the stable, which has it's own run, from 23 onwards.

At the moment they all go out with the shepherd, weather permitting, all day.  I have tried to ask my neighbour how long before a birth you would keep them back but he thought I was asking about how long after the birth before she goes out again (to this he said 5 days but as long as she is happy to remain here then I intend to keep her here for about 2 weeks). 

Yes, ok, I'm getting there...........how long before a due date do you think she should be kept in for?

I'll apologise before I start as I have more questions than answers

How exciting  - kids!

do you know if they are likely to be singletons or twins?

Will you milk your goats?  If so how will you use the milk?

what will you do with them when they get older send them up the mountain with mums or sell or dare I say it ...eat them?

nothing practical to add apart from a useful "ah how lovely".  Can't wait to see the pics already.

Chances are it will be twins

Yes, I will be milking them and making cheese (syrene) probably butter and yogurt too and selling some to the milk van that comes to collect excess village milk every day - 60 stotinkis a litre but as we should get 8 litres a day - every little bit helps!

All the kids will be sold

Quote:I'll apologise before I start as I have more questions than answers

How exciting  - kids!

do you know if they are likely to be singletons or twins?

Will you milk your goats?  If so how will you use the milk?

what will you do with them when they get older send them up the mountain with mums or sell or dare I say it ...eat them?
Me neither!

Quote:nothing practical to add apart from a useful "ah how lovely".  Can't wait to see the pics already.
When we had sheep,   those that had lambed before used to get very swollen and pink under their tail so we had a good idea when it was going to happen.   It was more difficult for the first timers tho.    Have asked my friend who used to breed goats,  she said if you knew the exact mating date, she can tell you the due date.    But in any event she thought keep them in a week before the date you think they are due.

Another thing to look for is the gap that appears between the base of the tail and the beginning of the spine,   when that happens it is fairly imminent.....  Oh and they get pink and swollen under the tail when its getting near.

Hope that helps a bit. Smile
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Thank you Teazel - so she reckons a week which is what I am thinking at the moment.  It would be easier if they were out in a field where I could go and check on them but at this time of year they go quite a way out to get to any grazing and I don't like the idea that she could go into labour in the middle of nowhere even if the shepherd is more than capable, she doesn't really know him in the same way she does me and if it did happen that way then she would have to walk home!

If the worst was to happen,  I expect the Shepherd would carry the kid back!       My sheep often did the dirty on me tho and had lambs when I wasnt expecting them.   I had one produced triplets,  luckily she was in a pen in the barn  but one of the triplets had managed to get through the partition and had ended up in with one of the ponies (a large one!)   He was standing there absolutely routed to the spot, eyes on stalks,  not daring to move as it was underneath his tummy!     Bless him he was so relieved when I grabbed it and put it back with mum.  You could see him relaxing his body  Big Grin
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
What a good pony

Can't help with your question but just want you to know I am green with envy !!

I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Will pictures help when the time comes? laugh

Quote:Can't help with your question but just want you to know I am green with envy !!
I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for Teazel, the lamb or the pony!

60 stinkers a litre ... is that good  :hysterical :bang

ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
Quote:60 stinkers a litre ... is that good  :hysterical
Some things don't change!  :rolleyes:  :001_tt2:
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
Hi Zoe,how are the mommy goats doing? nearly cooked now!! how exciting :001_smile:  let us know when the babies arrive x