Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incubators
Although I think is is very useful to gain from the experience of others using various incubators, I do think people should consider all the variable elements.

Some people swear by running their incubators dry until the 18th day where others fill half the water containers etc. This could in fact be the same advice as the local climatic conditions could vary significantly. No water in one place and half full in another could result in the same humidity levels inside the incubator. If I were to run my Octagon 40dx dry in my centrally heated spare room, the humidity levels would drop to under 5% which is likely to result in terrible results.

Be very careful when someone advises level of humidity given by the crude dial type hygrometers, I have found them to vary between themselves by as much as 25% !! I calibrated 3 different dial type hygrometers and put them together in the same incubator and got readings of 15%, 20% and 40% from them at the same time. I have found that the digital ones (that I now use) give the same reading to within 2%.

I think what I am trying to say is that other peoples experiences in their local conditions can be very useful however remember that it is the environment inside the incubator that is the improtant point, not the settings they use to acheive this. The biggest single influencing factor on the conditions inside the incubator is in fact the conditions outside the incubator.

Stickfihs
Name of inci: Octagon 10

Auto turn? Can be auto turn if used with a separate auto turn unit

How many hen /bantam eggs does it hold: 10 hen and approx 14 bantam (depending on size)

Still air or forced (fan assisted) air Still Air

(Still air means that the machine does not have a fan)

Optimum Temp 38.5C

Humidity - not known as instructions say not to use a humidity meter.

First Channel/pot filled from day 1

Second channel/pot filled from day 18

Sighting of incubator kept in my spare room or sitting room both of which have an average temp of 16C and normal humidity

Last three days:

Fill second/other pots with water Yes

Close off/adjust ventilation hole Yes

DON'T OPEN THE LID! Well not until 24 hours after the first chick has hatched.

Use a mild disinfectant such as Milton or proper Incubator disinfection liquid to clean the incubator. Don't forget to clean the inci immediately after hatching and before the next lot of eggs go in.

Don't immerse electrics in water or get water on electrics.

[COLOR="Red"]Please note: This post is how I personally use my Octagon 10 and have very good hatch rates with it.[/COLOR]
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
Name of inci: Octagon 20 Advance (Humidity Pump optional extra)

Auto turn? Can be auto turn if used with a separate auto turn unit

How many hen /bantam eggs does it hold: 24 hen and approx 28 bantam (depending on size)

Still air or forced (fan assisted) air Fan assisted

Optimum Temp 37.5C

Humidity - in built humidity meter.

First Channel/pot filled from day 1

Second channel/pot filled from day 18

Sighting of incubator kept in my spare room or sitting room both of which have an average temp of 16C and normal humidity

Last three days:

Close off/adjust ventilation hole Yes

Use a mild disinfectant such as Milton or proper Incubator disinfection liquid to clean the incubator. Don't forget to clean the inci immediately after hatching and before the next lot of eggs go in.

[COLOR="Red"]Please note: This post is how I personally use my Octagon 20 Advance and have very good hatch rates with it.[/COLOR]
squizzers
Name of inci: Covattuto 12

Auto turn? No - there is nothing even remotely automatic about this incy! You will have to do all the thinking for it!

How many hen /bantam eggs does it hold: about 12-16 large hen and approx 20 bantam (depending on size)

Still air or forced (fan assisted) air: Still Air

Optimum Temp 37.5C

Humidity - instructions say not to use a humidity meter.

First Channel/pot instructions say filled from day 1

Second channel/pot instructions say filled from day 18

Sighting of incubator - kept in my spare room so normal draught free, room temperature

Last three days:

Close off/adjust ventilation hole Yes - although it doesnt say so on the instructions, i use a piece of brown tape to close off one of the two air vents.

##IMPORTANT NOTE!##

This is no automatic incy!!! The instructions say you dont need a hygrometer and that the small thermometer on the side of the incy is sufficient. I have found this not to be the case!

However, with experience, I now do things differently and get much better hatch rates. Firstly I invested in a cheap digital thermometer/hygrometer from fleabay and havnt regretted it. The thermometer on the side of the incy was not exactly accurate!!! I also find that i run the incy dry for the first 18 days as if i fill the first chamber from day 1 - 18 (as it states on the instructions) then the humididty is far too high.

Also, the light bulb in the lid of the incy can mean the termperature gets too hot. The incy comes with a 60w bulb, but i have separatly bought a 25w bulb and find that if the weather is hot, then you need to use a 25w bulb - otherwise your eggs will cook and vise vera - when it is cold, switch back to the 60w bulb.

It all sounds very complicated, but it really isnt - it is a cheep (!) and cheerful machine, but if you dont have time to manually turn 3 times a day, or keep checking the temperature/humidity, then it may be best to save some more pennies and get a slight more automatic one.

The above makes this incy sound really bad - but it is not! You just have to get used to it being totally manual. Good things about this incy are; you get a BRILLIANT view of the hatching chicks - the design is quite funky and it is very easy to clean. Oh and it is wonderfully cheap to buy!
I can resist everything except temptation......
In this thread you will find a list of incubators that have been used by various members of the forum, together with hints and tips on using them.
squizzers
Name of inci: Maino MPS 18

Auto turn? strictly manual turn

How many hen /bantam eggs does it hold: 18 hen and approx 20 bantam (depending on size)

Still air or forced (fan assisted) air Fan assisted

Optimum Temp 37.7C

Humidity - is supplied with one pot. Depends on the time of year and relative humidity of the room. Early on in the year I put one pot of water in, later in the years, during a wet summer I run dry.

Sighting of incubator kept in my spare room or sitting room both of which have an average CONSTANT temp of at least 18C and normal humidity

Last three days:

stop turning eggs and fill pot with water, check humidity via a digital hygrometer, may need to add second egg cup of water.

DON'T OPEN THE LID from day 18! Well not until 24 hours after the first chick has hatched.