Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ENORMOUS egg
Omlette and chips for us tonight, with Pancakes for pudding - the girls have gone into overdrive this week. Baking at the weekend too!
Hi,

I got this out of the nest box yesterday. I suppose I should do a pic of it alongside another egg for comparison.

A whopping 94 gram egg.

Ian

[Image: DSC_0137_edited-1.jpg]
Ouch!!!
One of my LS pullets took ages and three goes at laying an egg today. It was HUGE and had blood on it. I didn't think to weigh it and it's been sold now Sad
Weighed one of LS eggs today and it was 101g. Sprinkles is really struggling to get them out and they have blood on them, is this normal. She is about a year old.
[quote name='karrianne']Weighed one of LS eggs today and it was 101g. Sprinkles is really struggling to get them out and they have blood on them, is this normal. She is about a year old.[/QUOTE]

I assume this is a hen that has come back into lay? It will be a double yolker and this can happen until their system gets into the rhythm. I have seen blood on some of mine that have laid double yolkers. With the extra strain it must take them to get it out, it is not surprising that there is slight rupture and blood along the way.

A bit like when pushing a baby out, and the reason for needing stitches after.

Hopefully her system will settle down soon and she will not be trying to push out too many of those whoppers.
She is a young bird, just coming into lay. Today's egg was only her 2nd or 3rd egg ever!!! We noticed she'd gone into nest a few times before we actually noticed how much she was struggling. Is it normal for the first eggs to be this big?
[quote name='karrianne']She is a young bird, just coming into lay. Today's egg was only her 2nd or 3rd egg ever!!! We noticed she'd gone into nest a few times before we actually noticed how much she was struggling. Is it normal for the first eggs to be this big?[/QUOTE]

It can be. Just until system settles down. Keep an eye on her and hopefully she will soon get into rhythm of single yolk eggs.