Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of my favourite Chinese Recipes
This is brilliantly easy cos it is also a slow-cooker dish (probably not very authentic in that case) but simple and delicious all the same. I usually serve it with a plainish noodle stir fry.

Chinese Chicken and Mushroom

Cooking Oil

4 Chicken Joints (I only ever use the breast)

2 Onions (roughly chopped)

2 tbsp cornflour

1/4 pint good chicken stock

12 oz mushrooms (I usually use a mixture but plain old buttons will do just fine)

2 tbsp light soy sauce (or one light and one dark)

1 tsp sugar

seasoning to taste (go careful with the salt)

Heat the oil and seal the chicken joints, then pop in slow cooker. In the remaining oil, fry the onions without browning. Stir in the cornflour and gradually add the stock. Add remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Pour over the chicken and cook on your normal setting (mine is medium for virtually everything) for 4 - 5 hours.

This one is from Goks book:

Poppa Wan's Honey Glazed Char Siu Pork (I serve the meat with a beansprout and savoy cabbage stir fry) Nothing else needed ! (Except a nice glass of Rose)

4 tbls Hoisin Sauce (Yes the supermarket bottled stuff)

1 - 2 garlic cloves

1cm piece of fresh ginger (Peeled and chopped into fine matchsticks)

1 star anise

4 tsps caster sugar

1/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice

2 tbls honey

I pork Loin

Put all ingredients (apart from meat) into a bowl and mix really well. Smother the loin with the marinade and leave overnight in the fridge. Cook the meat at 210 gas 6 basted with the remaining marinade for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180 gas 4 and cook for approximately 40-45 mins. Remove from oven once cooked through and glossy. Carve the meat and drizzle with a little extra honey if desired.

p.s. Not sure how big my pork loin usually is but I normally pay around £4 for it and it feeds 2 people very generously. Remember with no pots, rice or noodles you do need the extra meat to make it a filling meal but it is really delicious and tastes very authentic - not at all like your local take aways offerings!
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !