Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mending Water Butts
Any one got any bright ideas about mending water butts, we've got one that has some small cracks where it touches the ground that has been glued etc. and I think a soldering iron came into it somewhere as well, but it is leaking again so I need a practical solution, apart from replacing it :p ,
A small hole can be repaired by drilling a hole then inserting a tight fitting bolt (i.e. 5mm bolt in 5mm hole) with small sections of old inner tube as washers on either side...
But this is on a curve literally where it meets the ground :confused:
You could try silicone sealant it worked on one of mine,i actualy found a good use for another old one.lay on side put straw in and the hens all use it as nest box ive hade 3 hens in it at once!Smile
[quote name='doodlum']You could try silicone sealant it worked on one of mine,i actualy found a good use for another old one.lay on side put straw in and the hens all use it as nest box ive hade 3 hens in it at once!Smile[/QUOTE]

What a clever idea!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
Ok empty it

Mix some concrete with water proofing additive and put this in the bottom agitate to remove air bubbles smooth it off wait to dry fill up!!
Quick repair line leaky water butt with strong plastic sheet fill with water and trim top of the sheet.Hey Presto!Smile
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
You're not all as daft as you look are you Big Grin There are some good ideas there - I'll let you know which one works best!
So which one did you go for or are you still thinking?
Still thinking I'm afraid but I know I must get it sorted soon because there is no way the hens will manage with just the one this summer - when the next warm day comes I will bring it up to the house and get it dry and then pick one
eeny, meeny miney mo ?????
fibre glass, like they use for making canoes, or car body filler " isopon" i think its called, its realy easy to use and when dry takes a hammer to break itWink
So, did you get a warm day to do the water butt or has it been shelved for a while, Zoe?
One water butt has been mended but it is drying at the moment, something that can be used on car engines was used - just to make sure daughter number 3 will not run out of water whilst I am gone - if it works then I will get a can of it for any more that give out in the same way
I'm sure daughter number 3 will appreciate the trouble you have gone to for her ......... once you get back!