Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darkest maran egg?
Does anybody here know which breed of maran lays the darkest brown egg? Copper?cuckoo?wheaten? etc etc

Thanks in advance!! Big Grin
I'm not sure about the other two but I know cuckoo to be very dark brown,my brother used to keep them.

Eggs for all 3 types are on Ebay try asking sellers the questionSmile
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
I heard copper black maran was the darkest egg, but would be interested to know as I am reluctant to get more Pennies because they are so flightly in spite of the lovely dark brown egg they lay!Sad
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
[quote name='Squizzers']I heard copper black maran was the darkest egg, but would be interested to know as I am reluctant to get more Pennies because they are so flightly in spite of the lovely dark brown egg they lay!Sad[/QUOTE]

Asked the question to a seller on ebay.Answer was the the French marans lay darkest brown eggSmilehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-HATCHING-EGGS-FO...0088080483
[quote name='zenith']Asked the question to a seller on ebay.Answer was the the French marans lay darkest brown eggSmile[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've heard that too, but I think it also depends on the strain and you need to choose the darkest of hatching eggs.

Sue
Thanks all - I've also heard that the french ones lay the darkest eggs. I'm going to have to try and find people who brees/own all types and ask!!
[quote name='chickenlicken']Thanks all - I've also heard that the french ones lay the darkest eggs. I'm going to have to try and find people who brees/own all types and ask!![/QUOTE]

Just put a link for you in my previous post,hope it works.Smile
Just don't forget that if you breed for very dark eggs you will weaken the strain because a good layer's eggs get lighter as time goes on! Really dark eggs are from hens that don't lay all that often - if you catch my drift?!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
I just put 12 French copper black maran and 6 French copper blue maran eggs in my new OCtagon 40DX. They are all very dark and rather large eggs.

cheers

Stickfish
[quote name='stickfish']I just put 12 French copper black maran and 6 French copper blue maran eggs in my new OCtagon 40DX. They are all very dark and rather large eggs.

cheers

Stickfish[/QUOTE]

That's a seriously good set of eggs to put in a new bator Stickfish,I hope you have a brilliant hatch and we get to see the pics later.Wink
I think ultimately it comes down to the individual strain of bird so if I was after seriously dark eggs then I would want to see them first
[quote name='stickfish']I just put 12 French copper black maran and 6 French copper blue maran eggs in my new OCtagon 40DX. They are all very dark and rather large eggs.

cheers

Stickfish[/QUOTE]

Where did you get them from Stickfish?
[quote name='chickenlicken']Where did you get them from Stickfish?[/QUOTE]

More importantly did he take pictures of them before he put them in the incubator :rolleyes:
It is the strain not the breed that matters, i have cuckoo marans that lay many dark brown eggs (welsummer brown) and a copper black strain that lays few very dark eggs

I use a cock hatched from the darkest egg and put to the best laying hens of a paler egg, this way you get good egg colour and numbers but this is a terminal laying strain, as if you breed back to a dark cock the egg numbers can decrease again :rolleyes:
Thank you for your replies. I am more concerned about egg colour than with numbers. I'd be happy to have a hen who lays 3-4 a week or 120-150 p/a but lays a truely dark egg. I have the other girls doing far too much laying for us at the moment, so would like to cut down the flock more and introduce new birds which lay different colour eggs.Big Grin