Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Eggs!
So far today my girls have laid 9 eggs (over 60 this week) but I am rather concerned with the appearance of 2 of them (eggs ,not hens!)

They weighed in at 72g and 79g but were quite "ridgey" and crumpled at the ends. The shells were hard and all the other eggs were fine.

What has caused this? All the girls seem fit and well.Are the eggs ok to eat? Am I doing something wrong?
These are generally stressed eggs , we have eaten some of ours with no ill effect, It ususally happens when the birds have not laid for a while and just started again and there egg has taken longer to form (as it would at this time of year). Worry not.
Mandy is right, wrinkled shells are a sign of stress. You are not doing anything wrong and they are fine to eat. Thunderstorms, a dog running at the pen - anything of that sort where they get a bit of a fright can cause it. Don't worry, it will clear up of it's own accord!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
Thankyou,that has sort of put my mind at rest.

Over the past couple of weeks we"ve noticed a big increase in the egg count.

The four "Black Rocks" were "rescued" but healthy and they have laid all winter. The 11 ex-batts are obviously laying now ,so would it be "stress" caused by laying what are rather large eggs?

We have also changed from giving them warm wet mash to dry mash. They seem to prefer that as there is no wastage whereas previously we would be chucking a load away at the end of the day?

As it is so cold today (still NO snow though) I thought I"d do some warm porridge and give them some more mixed corn before "bedtime". Is that ok?
[quote name='montymonster']Thankyou,that has sort of put my mind at rest.

Over the past couple of weeks we"ve noticed a big increase in the egg count.

The four "Black Rocks" were "rescued" but healthy and they have laid all winter. The 11 ex-batts are obviously laying now ,so would it be "stress" caused by laying what are rather large eggs?

We have also changed from giving them warm wet mash to dry mash. They seem to prefer that as there is no wastage whereas previously we would be chucking a load away at the end of the day?

As it is so cold today (still NO snow though) I thought I"d do some warm porridge and give them some more mixed corn before "bedtime". Is that ok?[/QUOTE]

Warm porridge and corn would do no harm of an evening. In fact corn is best fed at night as it takes a long time to digest so keeps the hen warm! I feed wet mash in the morning, but only enough for them to be able to finish in 10 mins. Perhaps you were mixing up too much? They have normal dry food the rest of the time.
squizzers
No snow MontyM you can have some of mine,as for funny shelled eggs I've had a couple like that this week,one the pointy end was like a spiral,think she must have been in a bit of a spin when she laid it.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Right then,porridge and corn for afternoon "tea" it is!

(We got beef stew and dumplings later and the kitchen smells gorgeous as the stew has been in the slow cooker all day!!!!!!)Big Grin
[quote name='montymonster']Right then,porridge and corn for afternoon "tea" it is!

(We got beef stew and dumplings later and the kitchen smells gorgeous as the stew has been in the slow cooker all day!!!!!!)Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Dare I say we are having Chicken:eek: not one of mine.

Chicken breasts casseroled,served on a bed of leeks with roast spuds and gravy.
[quote name='Squizzers']Warm porridge and corn would do no harm of an evening. In fact corn is best fed at night as it takes a long time to digest so keeps the hen warm! I feed wet mash in the morning, but only enough for them to be able to finish in 10 mins. Perhaps you were mixing up too much?

They have normal dry food the rest of the time.[/QUOTE]

We"ve given them exactly the same amount of dry mash as we used to mix up "warm,wet mash" and they just scoff it all. Maybe the dry stuff is like "comfort" food ? , and what they (the ex-batts ) were fed before?

(ps. zenith...your dinner sounds lovely. Is it freerange chicken? I only ask as since I got my girls I felt guilty about eating any chicken which I used to eat ALL the time! Does it (freerange) really taste better,like the "freerange" eggs do???)
The problem with wet mash is that you must only feed enough for them to eat in 10 mins. I think you possibly were mixing up a lot more than that. It goes sour very quickly you see! They are eating the dry mash up because it tastes good. if they don't like wet mash, don't sweat it, they will be quite happy on dry! I do mix poultry spice and oil into my mash as well which may make a difference, I don't know!
squizzers
does "odd eggs" encompass bobbly eggs? We recently moved the chicken coop and run to a more elevated area. The rir would not be guided back to the coop and we spent 30 minutes trying to coax encourage and cajool her in the right direction to no avail. We ended up throwing a blanket over her and catching her that way. I thought the stress would put her off laying but she has layed a couple of bobbly eggs since.
[quote name='serenity']does "odd eggs" encompass bobbly eggs? We recently moved the chicken coop and run to a more elevated area. The rir would not be guided back to the coop and we spent 30 minutes trying to coax encourage and cajool her in the right direction to no avail. We ended up throwing a blanket over her and catching her that way. I thought the stress would put her off laying but she has layed a couple of bobbly eggs since.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that would have been enough to have done it. But don't feel bad, it was for her own good that you had to move her and catch her in the way you did. What happens is that the egg as it passes down the oviduct (I think my anatomy is right:o ) gets a sort of hickup and goes backwards slightly, before going forward again so gets an extra bit of shell coating on it in odd places. Hope that makes sense!
squizzers
I did feel bad sqizzers but at one time she got over the hedge and in to no mans land which is fox haven. My 4 year old was in bits because her favorite, strawberry was lost. She is a new addition and the only layer we have at present so is vey precious. It was most definately a "last resort" to ambush her.
Here is the spiral egg I was on about if this works not a very good photo

If you look closely you should see spiral rings
Not seen that before Zen-man! Weird!
squizzers