Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hens going into lay??
Nope, no sniffles or snuffles,all eggs fine today.Never had one so crumpled before,maybe hen sat down heavily just before layingBig Grin
[quote name='doodlum']YIPPEE second rir bantie layed her first ever egg today.... they are very pointed eggs hope thats normal.[/QUOTE]

Thats a sign of a pullet egg the eggs will fill out a little in time as everything in the pullets stretchs a bit

but egg shape does vary from bird to bird when i only had a few hens i could tell you which hen had laid the egg just by looking at it when you get a 100 birds gets a bit more difficult.Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[quote name='k9crystal']Ive had a wrinkled/crumpled egg today,whats that due to?[/QUOTE]

Has the hen just started laying again K9crystal because they some times lay a few weird eggs then and also double yolkers. Only worry if it starts to be persistant.
I heard that pointy eggs were when the hen got stressed for whatever reason ,so the normal flow of the egg stops and then when the hen feels ok it starts again and another shell covering is formed over the original and that is what causes "pointy" eggs?
Bands around eggs are normally a sign of stress and the theory goes that pointy eggs are more likely to hatch as boys and have a harder time hatching but I haven't noticed that with any of my pointy eggs
[quote name='VORWERK']Has the hen just started laying again K9crystal because they some times lay a few weird eggs then and also double yolkers. Only worry if it starts to be persistant.[/QUOTE]

Could well be a first egg from a hen,its a nice big one..Tilly is having it on her dinner tonightSmile
We had a few soft shelled/no shell eggs ,then some teeny weeny eggs and then after a day or so ,huge "normal" eggs".

This week the egg count has exceeded every week for the past couple of months. Another 8 eggs so far today, which means our lovely girls have laid 47 eggs this week!!

Don"t know if it"s the increase in daylight,the mild weather (apart from yesterday!!) or the improved diet or a combination of all three. Just pleased that they are all fit and well.

montymonster
Today both rir banties have layed so one has now layed two days runningSmile spring is sprungSmile [well at least they thinkso]Wink
One of legbar X started laying this week, one on wednesday and one today Smile