Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egg Prices - again
I didn't know that was how the grading works kirstyfern - anyone know where I can get a list that I could put in a sticky to let others know?
DEFRA EC Egg Marketing Standards Regulations 06/05

4. The regulations apply to all hen eggs marketed within the community and lay down common requirements for quality, weight, labelling and distribution etc

The regulations do not apply to eggs sold direct by producers to consumers for their own needs at farm gate...but these eggs must be unlabelled and ungraded...However, eggs sold by producers direct to consumers must have the best before date clearly indicated by:

*a notice on the stall...clearly showing the best before date

*a preprinted note on the package...

(see EMR13 re bb date)

7.Every production site, covered by the scope of the Welfare of Laying hens Directive 1999/74/EC, will require to be registered and issued with a distinguishing number[COLOR="Red"]....(this) will show a single digit code to indicate the method of production, UK to denote the member state, and a unique number (normally 5 digits) to identify the production site e.g 2UK12345[/COLOR]

The method of production code will consist of the following characters

0 - Organic

1 - free-range

2 - barn

3 - cage

8. ....Seperate application is required to use the quality description 'Extra (Fresh)'. Eggs which are intended for marketing as 'Extra' must be collected from producers every working day....All other eggs must be collected from producers at least every third working day.

10. There are four weight grades for Class A eggs as follows (Class b need not be weight graded):

XL - very large (73g and above)

L - Large (63g up to 73g)

M - Medium (53g up to 63g)

S - Small (under 53g)

Egg quality classes

Please note: there are only two quality classes - Class A - 'Fresh Eggs', and eggs not off Class A standard will be Class B- 'Second quality, preserved eggs intended for the manufacture of pasturised egg products or for industrial use'. If unfit for human consumption they will be classified as industrial eggs - may not be used for human consumption. Thier use is normally only in the manufacture of soaps, shampoos, pet foods, etc.

Appendix A -(this is a big chart but basically clean eggs with no foreign bodies and a small (under 3mm) air sac can be classed grade A, for sale as eating eggs.

Mishhaped or dirty eggs or those with internal spots, large or mobile air sacs, etc are classed as grade B for processed food production - powdered or scrambled and animal feed but not as eating eggs)

[COLOR="red"]THIS is where a lot of people go wrong as they see Class A and think the egg is free range!!!!! It is really meaningless to consumers as ALL eggs sold by retailers as eating eggs are Class A!!!!![/COLOR]

I hope this helps and that everyone know looks out for these 'rogue traders' and asks 'are those free range eggs' and then looks for the stamp 1UK or 0UK (organic) if they are labelled 2UK (barn) or 3UK (cage) PLEASE tell the retailer as many have told me...

Farmer Jones selles us his FRESH EGGS and we sell them on, he dosn't tell us his production method, we just assume they are better than supermarket eggs as they are local and come loose in trays!!!! Ignorance is bliss eh!!!!
Thankyou for that Kirstyfern,will remember to check places we buy eggs from,will they get an ear bashing if they haven't got it right.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Thank you kirstyfern I will copy that over to somewhere where it can be more easily found in the future!
thanks zoe - i'll find the bit on bb dates as well but summayah will be here in a mo so i'd best go and put the kettle on - lemsip for me though Sad
Don't forget the lipstick too kirstyfern Big Grin
I'm also thinking of producing an 'educational' leaflet to take with me to these places hopefully it will make them think...

One in particular has an old wooden sign above the door stating 'free range eggs' she says thy sign is part of the building she rents and not advertising her (cage) eggs.....I wonder what trading standards would think of that....
lipstick - oh you mean chapstick for the raw nose and dry lips!!!! she will love me when she goes home with the flu!!!
[COLOR="Green"]Thanks for the information Kirstyfern ~ I don't have the energy to rush downstairs and check my fridge eggs ~ but will check them when I go down.[/COLOR]
In our local grocery store "local farm fresh eggs" are sold for around 3$ a dozen, regular eggs are around .89 cents per dozen. I sell my eggs for 1.00$ a dozen, and one gentle man gives me 1.50$ a dozen, cause i deliver them, he usually takes about 6 dozen a week, more if they are available. Funny enough, the eggs that are "Local farm Fresh" are always Brown, it is funny how that works, most people associate farm fresh eggs as being brown. I had one guy ask how i got white eggs? I asked him why, and he said cause he was told there were only Brown eggs, and the white ones we buyy from the grocery were bleached to be white!! Ha ha ha ha haha ha!! Big Grin
[COLOR="Green"]Isn't that to do with the time when the us had mostly brown eggs and white were very rare and though to be different? At the same time the uk had mostly white eggs and the brown were rarer.

Certainly here that's changed, you don't find that many white eggs any more.[/COLOR]