Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True cost of eggs
Have decided to once again, keep track of eggs and costs of the chickens.

While I appreciate that we are only at the begining of October, that the chickens are not all laying, but still have to be fed, and taking the costs of my feed as from 1st October together with purple spray, poultry spice etc. - to date my eggs are costing me £2.10 EACH!:eek: I must be eating the most expensive eggs in britain!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
hmmm....not sure if i even want to look at how much they cost me!! especially with a possible vet visit for one more!:eek:
[quote name='Squizzers']Have decided to once again, keep track of eggs and costs of the chickens.

While I appreciate that we are only at the begining of October, that the chickens are not all laying, but still have to be fed, and taking the costs of my feed as from 1st October together with purple spray, poultry spice etc. - to date my eggs are costing me £2.10 EACH!:eek: I must be eating the most expensive eggs in britain![/QUOTE]

I see where you are coming from but you have to consider the actual enjoyment we get from our chooks, i spend hours watching them and that's priceless.They ARE the tastiest eggs after all!
[quote name='k9crystal']I see where you are coming from but you have to consider the actual enjoyment we get from our chooks, i spend hours watching them and that's priceless.They ARE the tastiest eggs after all![/QUOTE]

Now how on earth am I going to cost 'pleasure'? No - don't answer that I can see exactly where that conversation would end up and it wouldn't be in the gutter!Big Grin
squizzers
[quote name='Squizzers']Now how on earth am I going to cost 'pleasure'? No - don't answer that I can see exactly where that conversation would end up and it wouldn't be in the gutter!Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Big Grin OH yea of little faith,what ever gave you that idea!!
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[quote name='zenith']Big Grin OH yea of little faith,what ever gave you that idea!![/QUOTE]

The 'gentleman' on here definetly have an absurd and weird sense of humour! Might not know you 'well' but can guess which lines the remarks would run along! Seem to recall that NTG knows all about basques and french maids if my memory serves me correctly!:p Big Grin If you catch my drift!
squizzers
Oi you lot behave!!!!

It was a while ago Squizzers but I did read that each hen costs 3p a day to feed, is that what your costings come out as without medicines etc.?
[quote name='Squizzers']The 'gentleman' on here definetly have an absurd and weird sense of humour! Might not know you 'well' but can guess which lines the remarks would run along! Seem to recall that NTG knows all about basques and french maids if my memory serves me correctly!:p Big Grin If you catch my drift![/QUOTE]

Big Grin Well this gent has a weird sense of humour I agree.Sorry can't answer for

NTG but if he's into basques and french maids outfits,each to his own I suppose,don't fancy wearing them myself.Sorry NTG.Big Grin
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
mmmmm french maid.....oh better stop dreaming and get back to the topic....I've no idea how much our eggs are costing, but with at the moment it seems alot when we're getting 4 eggs in a week from 7 chickens (3 of the eggs were from the same bird!)..just enough to make a sponge cake...which I think I'll go and do in a minute...anything to keep the kids quiet Smile
I've had about 10 eggs max.

Feed costs say £20 up to now

Cost of hut, feeders etc... say £250

Fencing £50

Total £370/ 10 eggs £37 per egg. And they are still not laying yetmad

I should start a virtual shop, where you can buy virtual eggs for £40 each. Do you think it'll catch on?!:rolleyes:
I should start a virtual shop, where you can buy virtual eggs for £40 each. Do you think it'll catch on?!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Umm No!!:rolleyes:
[quote name='Zoë']

It was a while ago Squizzers but I did read that each hen costs 3p a day to feed, is that what your costings come out as without medicines etc.?[/QUOTE]

I have worked out using bought in feed and at the average amount of feed per day that it costs me 7p per bird per day. I reckon on thumb suck that it is 3p per day in actual fact as I don't think my birds consume the full amount of 85gr per day pellets and 30gr per day of corn - which is what I am working my figures on at the moment! I do ad lib feed.

Slightly off thread, I think I am going to have to shift my LS out of the flock as there appears to be a lot of in-fighting going on! The Rhodebar is cock of the roost and beats up everyone who gets in her way, which is fine, but the LS are ganging up on the underdogs. There also seems to be a lot of squabbling going on over the nest boxes! Can't win can I?
squizzers
awww shame, maybe a period of seperation will sort them out..not like LS to fight though is it??..they're usually so docile and placid
[quote name='mikey']awww shame, maybe a period of seperation will sort them out..not like LS to fight though is it??..they're usually so docile and placid[/QUOTE]

I think mine must be an aberration! They will run from one end of the run to the other to chase off one of the other birds who are trying to eat! I am talking nearly 20 foot away, not next door to!
squizzers
[quote name='Squizzers']I think mine must be an aberration! They will run from one end of the run to the other to chase off one of the other birds who are trying to eat! I am talking nearly 20 foot away, not next door to![/QUOTE]

My light sussex are the nicest ladies...cant understand why yours are like that