Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the perfect poached egg
Sorry, not a recipe but a plea for help. How do you all poach your eggs? Presently I do them individually in a small pan, stiring the water to create a whirl pool efect and then "drop" the cracked egg into this. I add a little vinegar, no idea what this does, and a pinch of salt to raise the temp of water. Any suggestions?:confused:
Sorry I can't help you there as I've never tried to make them at home - I once had perfect ones at a hotel and they were just so good I have never tried to make them myself :o
[quote name='yorkshirelass']Sorry, not a recipe but a plea for help. How do you all poach your eggs? Presently I do them individually in a small pan, stiring the water to create a whirl pool efect and then "drop" the cracked egg into this. I add a little vinegar, no idea what this does, and a pinch of salt to raise the temp of water. Any suggestions?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Eggactly as you have above,but without the vinegar.Smile
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
I use a purpose made poacher, makes a perfect poached egg, can't remember where I got from, had it for at least 20yrs, it's an old metal one but I've seen similar ones with plastic bowls in various catering esablishments. I coat the bowl with butter before cracking the egg, they slip out perfectly formed.... yummy

Never liked them done straight into hot water, find the poacher best.
Ah that sort of poaching. I was going to say I wait till its a dark moonless night .....Big Grin

I do it the same as you have it (including the vinegar) but no salt. I have to do them for my wife as she says I do them best , I think is't just cos she doesn't like doing themSmile

Fresh eggs work better than the supermarket jobs as the all stay together but then I guess you lot only eat fresh eggs :rolleyes:
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
I believe the vinegar is to help the egg from breaking up in the water. We do both, in the vinegar water or in the little egg dish, I prefer the egg dish method. The eggs are at their tastiest when they are poachedSmile
We used to have one of those poaching pans but I dropped the glass lid and smashed itSad My daughter called them boobie eggs, taught to her by her naughty dad who always had 2 on his plate and would make them jiggle aboutBig Grin I don't know why I never replaced it, my methods ok but you can only make 1 egg at a time. I think a shopping trip is called for
[quote name='yorkshirelass']We used to have one of those poaching pans but I dropped the glass lid and smashed itSad My daughter called them boobie eggs, taught to her by her naughty dad who always had 2 on his plate and would make them jiggle aboutBig Grin I don't know why I never replaced it, my methods ok but you can only make 1 egg at a time. I think a shopping trip is called for[/QUOTE]

Well that got a chuckle or two first thing in the morningBig Grin
yeah! he even used to put blobs if ketchup on top of each one, for the nipples:rolleyes:
Too much information lol
[quote name='yorkshirelass']yeah! he even used to put blobs if ketchup on top of each one, for the nipples:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Boys.......:rolleyes:
[quote name='Zoë']Boys.......:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Big Grin One way of spicing up two poached eggs I supposeBig Grin
Whenever i see 2 poached eggs from now on i'll be chuckling to myself..Big Grin
[quote name='k9crystal']Whenever i see 2 poached eggs from now on i'll be chuckling to myself..Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Keep away from mirrors K9 or you will be chuckling all dayBig Grin
[quote name='zenith']Keep away from mirrors K9 or you will be chuckling all dayBig Grin[/QUOTE]

Cheeky:p Big Grin