Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eggs...
Hi

I have 6 chickens and how am I ment

to know what chicken layed what

egg????

Tilly :confused:
Sometimes you can go by the colour of the egg. Obviously if you have more than one chicken of one breed then it's moe difficult. If you look at them all and see who has the reddest face and comb ~ that will be the culprit. What colour was the egg?
If i go by that it would probably be one of my

Welsummers and Isa Browns!

One was brown and one brown with speckles.

Tilly Smile
I would guess your Welsummers should lay darker eggs than your Isa Browns. Welsummers should lay nice dark brown eggs
I believe the welsummer eggs tend to be a bit shiny too ~ not positive but I have it rattling about in my head
[quote name='summayah][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I believe the welsummer eggs tend to be a bit shiny too ~ not positive but I have it rattling about in my head[/FONT'][/quote]

I always get confused between the Maran eggs and the Welsummer eggs, one lays the matt eggs and one the shiny ones and I always forget which is which
Now you're just confused me more ~ am I thinking of the right ones?
[quote name='summayah][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Now you're just confused me more ~ am I thinking of the right ones?[/FONT'][/quote]

I'm relying on you summayah! :p
OK I got it wrong they should be matt brown ~ it's the marans that are shiney.
Ok then I will save my shiny brown eggs and my dull brown eggs, take pictures and e-mail them over to you and you can decide which breed to put them with Big Grin
[CENTER]
Quote:The welsumer's main characteristic is the large dark brown egg, described in an article in Fancy Fowl as "a rich deep flower-pot red brown, almost glowing . . ." They should be matt brown to avoid confusion with the marans eggs
[/CENTER]

from welsummer.co.uk

Thinking back so many months ago ~ my wheaten marans eggs had a bit of sheen to them ~ not so you would say they were shiny like a new car ~ but more slippery than say the sussex eggs