Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egg sizes and shapes
That's a funny time to start laying unless they are POL in which case they would surely be to young :confused:
my ickys are due to start now/spetmeber time ish - hatched in april - in theory they should start in autumn and lay right through their first winter.
Yes, but surely you wouldn't sell hatching eggs off POL birds :confused:
It's really odd this dorking chicken. Some of them appear to only lay early in the year and finish now, and yet newse is being told they'll come into lay in September.

Talking of pol chickens eggs ~ what about yours Zoe ~ they were just past pol when you tried the hatch.
summayah Wrote:It's really odd this dorking chicken. Some of them appear to only lay early in the year and finish now, and yet newse is being told they'll come into lay in September.

Talking of pol chickens eggs ~ what about yours Zoe ~ they were just past pol when you tried the hatch.

I wouldn't hatch at POL out of choice, the birds are too imature and the eggs too small, the eggs I am hatching are small but given the rarity of the breed I have to. I would never sell hatching eggs at POL
[quote name='Zoë']Yes, but surely you wouldn't sell hatching eggs off POL birds :confused:[/quote]

forgive my naivity but why?
Because the birds are still not fully grown, not mature enough and the eggs will be small; you are really meant to wait for their second year but most people start at about a year or when the eggs are the proper size. In their first year they lay lots of eggs but they are smaller than they should be after their first year they lay less eggs but they will be larger eggs, the size that the breed should be laying
I just hope that Joshua has read this. His pathetically small eggs are shameful ~ no bigger than pekin eggs, except they're blue green! This was his first attempt, a little soft at one spot as you can see, they're not now, just teeny. I could do with a pekin laying a bigger one and showing it to him.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Next year you will have lovely eggs summayah!
If Joshua is laying any eggs atall he sound like a pretty special boy to me Big Grin

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
I haven't dared ask seeing as we have a Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel called Barbara Big Grin
My Buff Rock cockerel used to be called sharon till we fopund out he was a boy!! now he just goes by Ron!!!!! Big Grin Smile
I hope he's read that post too. Cheeky boy. Oh I must tell you ~ I went in to put the paper down for the girls, and take advantage of them whilst they're perched. Had a stroke of Joshua, then speckle and then went to suzy sussex .... she went into the crouch position ~ maybe it would be too long before she shows Joshua how its done !
Peardrops he was named by a friend's children when he was first hatched ~ didn't know boy or girl ~ the other were called 'mummy' and 'olivia barker' ~ the little boy's girl friend at nursery! He came as Joshua and I can't think of a name so Joshua is how its stuck. The trouble is to me Joshua is a boys name so, she's a he.
The shape of the eggs is also important - any too long and thin or short and fat are less likely to hatch, and POL eggs will be variable.