Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chook Medicine Cabinet
I think it's about time we all shared what we have and know about things to treat our chooks with - kirstyfern made me realise this today so thanks! Hopefully it will help all of us as we all speak to different people and all those people have been told things somewhere along the line by someone else, so this is a share and share alike Smile So underneath this thread would people please list what they have and what they use it for and I will move things over to the 'Indispensables' as and when.
Coxoid - for the treatment of coccidiosis

Verm-X for worm treatment

Purple Spray antiseptic and anti-fungal(will get name later)

Surgical Spirit - treatment for scaly legs

ACV - see thread

Poultry Booster

Poultry Spice

Syringe

Kitchen Towel

Cod Liver Oil - thin shells

Garlic Granules - Good for them

Eye Ointment - will check name

Pipette

Scissors - wing clipping etc.
I will confess to using Aloe Vera Spray on all my animals for scrapes, bumps and bruises. Works wonders on itchy skin on the dogs (yes I know that this is a chook forum!) and also on horses. Use it on myself as well. Brilliant stuff. Also use the Aloe Vera gel.
I've also read a lot recently about using Vicks vapour rub on pecked bits or red bits to keep the other chicks away. I'm not sure if that's as well as purple spray or instead of ~ I rather think instead of.

And Vaseline for dried up bits and to protect dangly bits from the sun and frost.
I use nelson's hypercal for any (not to serious) wounds, it really helps the healing process for scratches and cuts.

You cannot beat arnica for bruises!

And I use rescue remedy (bach's i think?) for shock. If a chickens ill and needs treatment the shock from all this happening can do them in and I've seen them come back from the brink given a few drops of this. Great stuff, expensive ish but worth it!
I use rescue remedy when im showing the dogs,not on them you understand but on myself to calm my nerves, works a treat.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
TradBritFowlCo Wrote:I use nelson's hypercal for any (not to serious) wounds, it really helps the healing process for scratches and cuts.

You cannot beat arnica for bruises!

And I use rescue remedy (bach's i think?) for shock. If a chickens ill and needs treatment the shock from all this happening can do them in and I've seen them come back from the brink given a few drops of this. Great stuff, expensive ish but worth it!

This sounds interesting - I've never seen it so can you tell me where you get it from and I take it this is a few drops orally and what is expensive-ish?
You can get it supermarkets - think I've seen it in sainsburys? But if not, chemists or health food shops should have it.

You just give a drop orally, humans are supposed to have four I think so the birds only need a tiny little drop, if that!

It's about a five for a little bottle with a dropper in the lid, olbas oil style. It's worth it because it'll last you a long time and you can use it yourself and on any other casualties!
Oh and i must say - I don't know if its approved for animals or whatever, so use at your own risk! I'm just saying it works for me Big Grin

And, I'm talking dosage for a big hen there, for bantams you might just want to dip a cotton bud in the stuff and dab it on their tongue maybe? or something like.
Oops summayah do you want to make up for it and tell me what arnica gel is useful for because I've found a good link but can't remember what it's good for
It's for bruises and sprains and bump and bangs ~ but only on unbroken skin. It stops it hurting almost instantly ~ marvelous stuff. (Am I forgiven now?)
I wanna add comfrey tea to the medicine cabinet - worked wonders on my cocci chicks - they were 50% better by the time they got the coxoid!!!
hmmm, well, just judgement really.

I just picked a bunch of young leaves, about a handful and chopped/shredded them up and they filled about a 1/3 of a cup/mug. Then i poured in water until it covered the leaves and left it for...a while, only about ten mins to let the goodness soak out. It's just like making strong tea! Then I bashed it and bruised it in the cup with the handle end of a knife :rolleyes: and it left me with a 1/3 of a cup of concentrate which I diluted before giving to them. And there was no dosage with that, just *a bit*. Perhaps a tablespoon each. At that stage it was either kill or cure!!!

Make of that what you will....

I would say though, make a new batch each time, or only keep for a few hours in the fridge - I can't imagine it stays good/effective for long when stored without some kind of preservative.
So would filling the cup up to the top dilute it enough? (sorry to put you on the spot :o )
Yeah I'd say I diluted it to about a cupful - a small animal waterbottle was what I used exactly.