Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chickens and goats
My goats and chickens are currently penned seperately but I hope to re-locate soon and then want the chickens free-ranging in the goat paddock. The only real problem I foresee is the goats eating the chicken's food. Has anyone out there found a solution to this? I imagine some sort of contraption which allows the small heads of the chickens in to feed but won't let the goats in and wondered if anyone knew of something like this that is either commercially available or easily constructed?
I used to have pygmy goats and they had no problem getting into the hen houses and eating the food; I ended up building a tunnel onto the pop hole with a right angle bend so the goats couldn't get in - both had horns and had no trouble at all with a pop hole - loved the food but gave them very bad bellies for a few days
what about treadle feeders?then again i suppose they will just use tongues to lick out the food.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Yeah, my goats can get in a pophole and besides, I have automatic popholes so I couldn't have anything leading into them that might interfere with the mechanism or the girls wouldn't get locked in at night.

I think the goats would suss a treadle feeder out in a heartbeat...they are pretty smart critters, especially when it comes to accessing food!

Oh what to do????
Put the feeders in the house and put a right angle tunnel for the pop hole