Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet flooring...
We've had so much rain lately that even the grass in the garden is soggy - and the chickens' run is a mud bath!! I've always put woodchip down - but at just over £200 an order, it does get pricy. I've got the chance of wood chippings from a local tree fella - but I thought I'd read somewhere that bark isn't good for chickens? It won't all be bark - it will be chippings of branches - is this safe enough to use?
I think it is the bags of bark that produce moulds that are a problem. I think you would be fine using chippings from a tree surgeon  Smile Anything has got to be better than mud.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[-] The following 1 user Likes zenith's post:
  • Spur
I have never used it as luckily I still have grass. I remember Lass had a load of chippings delivered a while ago. I will ask her unless you can find the thread..

What about straw, my neighbour has just used it round her stables to soak up the mud and it seemed to work.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Wood is fine, it's soggy damp bark that harbours sporez
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
It should be fine, but keep an eye on it. I think you will find that it will break down quite quickly. Straw works well in a soggy run, but it is hard work to clear it out when things dry out!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
The amount of rain we have at the moment I think a life raft might be needed. If it is a large run you could always use some wooden pallets in there.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[-] The following 2 users Like zenith's post:
  • Spur, Squizzers
That's a good thought Zen - I remember Cuckoomad used to do that in her runs - she had Pekins Fran.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
I can easily get wooden pallets for free...so that is an idea. In this case I wouldn't want to cover the whole run, just make a walkway. A bit difficult for the chooks to scratch in - but they can't scratch easily anyway!
Hi all,
I've been using woodchip of my tree surgeon pal for many yrs now no problem.
Straw is great in the spring/summer as it does not get as wet and soggy. Having said that the wet at the moment is unreal, so even the woodchip is waterlogged.
I really like the pallet idea, or slatted area for them.
Perches I find they will rest on all day and do little else.
It's a problem, but I have something new to try and that's what I like about forums, sharing, new ideas etc.
Thank you :-)
Atb
Spur Big Grin 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spur's post:
  • scotsfran
Looks like Storm Desmond has now hit us - strong winds of up to 64mph and heavy rain forecast for the next 30 hours. Not like we haven't had enough rain already   Sad  Batten down the hatches!
Here we go :-(
Spur Big Grin 
Hope you all get by, you've had it tough the last few days, weather wise
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chickenmum's post:
  • Spur
It's not been great, I predict a power out and trees to clear in the morning.
Thank you :-)
Spur Big Grin 
Keep safe ..
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
Thank you, you too :-)
Atb
Spur Big Grin