Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet flooring...
I blame the people that keep giving the storms Names, just gives them a power complex and they get worse Big Grin
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
[-] The following 2 users Like Teazel's post:
  • chickenmum, Spur
Once it looks like the weather might settle for the year (is that too much to ask?  Cry ) I will need to get digging out the rotten wood/mud from my run. I did wonder about rubber chips - although I've not investigated price comparisons yet. Just wondered what anyone else has on the floor of their runs? Straw was given as an idea, but I'd imagine it would get quite messy? Pallets is another idea, especially when it is wet, but OH worries about the chooks getting their legs caught in the slats? We do have one pallet which has a board across the top, to keep the feed and water clean and dry. Unfortunately, the run is at the lowest part of the garden - not such a great idea, I realise now! Blush
Pallets would be a good idea I don't think they would get caught in them and they are easy to clean off. Improving the drainage around the run may help too. Trench filled with pea gravel on the outside of the run, but I don't know what the cost would be.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[-] The following 1 user Likes zenith's post:
  • scotsfran
Someone on here used rubber chips (was it Pilsbury Pie?) I think then you just hose them down, BUT I wonder if he had his coop on concrete?
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
I am lucky, my runs are covered so I don't have that problem so cannot help, sorry.
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
Mine still have quite a lot of grass so I dont have to worry either! Although I have put the big girls in a stable which helps.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I think you need some sort of hardcore under the river cos so that it all drains otherwise the rubber chips will just sink into the mud.

At least that's my thoughts on it.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
I don't think the rubber chip business has taken off all that well. I know one keeper who hated them once she had them put down - they made the run smell quite bad unless you hosed all the time (not good if you're on a meter or your run is a long way from an outside tap). Anyway having paid a lot of money for them, she had them all removed after only a year.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Many thanks for all that...hmmm back to the drawing board! I don't want to spend a fortune as we are selling this house, but nor do I want my chooks to be having mud baths every day! This winter HAS been exceptionally wet though, I think, so things should improve when it dries out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotsfran's post:
  • auntsally
Whatever you do, don't put a new load of wood chip down whilst the weather is like this - it'll just disappear in to the mud. Get yourself a nice new load once we're a bit drier and then it should see you through all Spring and Summer and at least the first half of the Winter.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • scotsfran
(12-02-2016, 09:51 AM)april Wrote: Whatever you do, don't put a new load of wood chip down whilst the weather is like this - it'll just disappear in to the mud.  Get yourself a nice new load once we're a bit drier and then it should see you through all Spring and Summer and at least the first half of the Winter.

Good advice! Many thanks....
Maybe a hay and straw is effective. But maybe you should build your chicken coop and run on high ground. Put gutters and downspouts on all roofs nearby making sure that the downspouts lead the water well away downhill.
(04-04-2016, 03:20 AM)Cameron231 Wrote: Maybe a hay and straw is effective. But maybe you should build your chicken coop and run on high ground. Put gutters and downspouts on all roofs nearby making sure that the downspouts lead the water well away downhill.

We are looking at where we can move the coop and run to - it's just been an exceptionally wet winter too which hasn't helped. I'm in the process of selling my house, so don't want to do a big upheaval if possible, but do want my chooks to be happy. At least they do get out to free range in drier parts of the garden.
This winter and still continuing to pour down. The ground is saturated and water has nowhere to go.
I am moving all my pens, but will still have the same problem later on I'm sure.
Atb
Spur Big Grin 
We've been lucky in the Midlands this year. We've dodged most of the really dreadful weather and the only time we had it really bad I managed to be in Scotland where the sun shone the whole time, Jammy, or what??
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chickenmum's post:
  • MelM