Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bleeding spur?
I have just gone out to do my daily 'poo pick' when I noticed blood around the hen house. Knowing that the 'Boss' had just come out of there, I had a closer look at my cockerel and it looks like half his spur is missing on one side, and still bleeding - I assume this has happened recently. What should I do? I have no idea what has caused this. I do have 'bleed stop' which I have on standby for clipping the dog's toenails (and which I have never used  Smile ) or should I be cleaning the area and putting something else on?
I would use anything you have to clean and stop the bleeding asap
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
And could I find the bleed stop - no! Anyway, I have caught the Boss, and checked the spur - or what's left of it. (should've take a pic). It's now a bare (white) hard sharp point gently oozing blood all round, but looked like it would stop soon. It wasn't dripping at all. I cleaned it up, but couldn't get the antiseptic on. I have put him back inside the hen house - it's getting dark now - so hopefully he will stay in. At least it is the spur and not on the foot - so more chance of it staying clean. 

Another idea for a topic - 'The chicken First Aid Kit'! What would you have in yours?
I always have Malachite Green here as I have used on fish in the pond before now. Good on wounds of any sort but can be a bit expensive from koi shops.

There is or was a post on first aid kits
First Aid kit post can be found here   It wouldn't harm to start the post up again
I thought I had seen that somewhere - but was looking at the wrong section! Shall I delete my new thread - or wait and see what people come up with!
(09-12-2015, 07:56 PM)scotsfran Wrote: I thought I had seen that somewhere - but was looking at the wrong section! Shall I delete my new thread - or wait and see what people come up with!

It is always good to have fresh idea's with new products on the market, we could always merge the two later or have an updated one too.
I read you can use cornflour on cuts?
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chickenmum's post:
  • zenith
(10-12-2015, 04:19 PM)chickenmum Wrote: I read you can use cornflour on cuts?

Has anyone tried this? I have now put some purple spray on but the Boss seems okay today.
Good quote from my profession - "all bleeding stops eventually"!!
Something like cornflour/flour/turmeric will help stop bleeding by stimulating the clotting mechanism
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
(10-12-2015, 11:48 PM)Sutty Wrote: Good quote from my profession - "all bleeding stops eventually"!!
Something like cornflour/flour/turmeric will help stop bleeding by stimulating the clotting mechanism

Ah, that makes more sense than my idea that cornflour just absorbed the blood....  Turmeric seems to be the new "superfood" right now!
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.