Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tylan
I'm sure I've asked this before but (and thanks to blinking awkward vets being jobsworth) I need to know a sensible dosage of tylan soluble for my Campine with a cold.  It's impossible to calculate.  Anyone used it recently for just one bird and if so how much in what solution and how often did you give it ?
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

says on here when I searched Tylan 0.5 gram in a litre of water. I seem to remember asking the same question. I think I just put a pinch in pint, but for goodness dont take my word for it.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I found this link which may be helpful, though I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Its a question which has come up several times, the problem is establishing the weight of a known volume of the powder. I use a gram scale like this from amazon for such things, but don't have any Tylan to weigh.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
(06-02-2016, 12:47 PM)Teazel Wrote: says on here when I searched Tylan    0.5 gram in a litre of water.     I seem to remember asking the same question.   I think I just put a pinch in pint,  but for goodness dont take my word for it.

Yes, but I just want to treat one bird without separating her from the others - don't think I could get her to drink a whole pint at one go Tongue
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Cant you just soak some bread and put a tiny bit on it I think I have done that in the past when I was desperate. I think its difficult when you don't want to separate her from others unless you take her out give her a teeny weeny bit on some bread and put her back.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
NOAH compendium states "Tylan Soluble is administered in the drinking water at a concentration of 0.5 g per litre to provide 50-200 mg/kg bw, depending on the age and the water consumption of the birds".

50-200mg/Kg bodyweight is the important bit here.

So if you can measure 1g and dilute in 10ml (makes 100mg/ml), dose would be 0.5 to 2ml per Kg body weight. If a chicken weighs around 2Kg then 1-4ml of this solution.

If your scales can't measure 1g then you could measure say 50g out, then see how many level teaspoons that is, and we can work it out from there.

Sutty, thank you for the link - it was kinda helpful. I have diluted 1/4 tsp in 32 fluid oz of water and I'll just have to separate her during the day with her own water supply. She can go back in with the others to roost (seeing as no one else is showing any signs and hasn't for a few weeks).

(06-02-2016, 07:06 PM)april Wrote: Sutty, thank you for the link - it was kinda helpful.  I have diluted 1/4 tsp in 32 fluid oz of water and I'll just have to separate her during the day with her own water supply.  She can go back in with the others to roost (seeing as no one else is showing any signs and hasn't for a few weeks).

If you can measure the number of teaspoons of a known weight, or the volume any other way, let me know and I can do the maths for next time someone needs it.

Would like to say I could Sutty BUT I left my maths brain in the 5th year, 34 years ago !!

The injectable form is much easier,if you can get hold of it.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
(07-02-2016, 12:27 PM)april Wrote: Would like to say I could Sutty BUT I left my maths brain in the 5th year, 34 years ago !!

OK...
If you still have a fair bit of Tylan, just spoon it all out into another container (using level teaspoonfuls), count how many teaspoonfuls and make a note of it. Then put your original container on some scales and zero them. Next tip the tylan powder back into the container on the scales and note the weight (in grams preferably), make a note of the weight and the number of teaspoons, and let me know - I'll do the maths!

[-] The following 2 users Like Sutty's post:
  • scotsfran, Squizzers
Ok, can do that.

Well done Sutty! That is going to come in handy in sure.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers