Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscovy laying early?
I just bought some muscovys yesterday and this am I had and egg already I live in MN is this normal its pretty cold out?
My hens have started laying properly now (mostly) even though it is still frosty in the mornings. It's the number of daylight hours that counts rather than temperature - I think! How cold is cold where you are?
IT was -6 this am
Welcome to this forum btw! It has been -2 here, though no colder recently. Someone else here may comment on the temperature/daylight hours issue....
Thanks I had then as a kid and don't rember them laying this early but I probably didn't pay that close attention. Do you have a heated building? how do you keep the eggs from freezing?
No I don't have a heated building - and collect the eggs in the afternoon each day. The temperature has been above freezing during the day. I know that you can freeze eggs, so I don't suppose it matters if they did freeze if the shell doesn't crack- although you may have to use them quicker? I assume that the one you got today was okay? It's always a delight when I get the first egg of the year! (mine stop laying in winter/shorter daylight hours). Hopefully you may get more answers tomorrow....
Thanks for your help there was a small crack in it but not worth starting incubator for a few eggs anyways
Welcome to Poultrychat. Sorry, I don't know much about ducks so cannot help but ........where is MN?...
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
(12-02-2016, 09:31 AM)auntsally Wrote: Welcome to Poultrychat. Sorry, I don't know much about ducks so cannot help but ........where is MN?...

Its Minnesota
[-] The following 2 users Like JEREMIAH SLAMA's post:
  • chickenmum, auntsally
April's your duck lady. Welcome to PC
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
Hullo and welcome to the best forum on the net! Smile we've got other members who are your side of the pond.

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
(12-02-2016, 06:56 PM)chickenmum Wrote: April's your duck lady.  Welcome to PC

ok thank you

(12-02-2016, 07:35 PM)Squizzers Wrote: Hullo and welcome to the best forum on the net!  Smile we've got other members who are your side of the pond.

will do thank you everyone seems so nice Smile
Hello and Welcome to the forum from me too Smile
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
(12-02-2016, 09:05 PM)zenith Wrote: Hello and Welcome to the forum from me too Smile

Thank you

(12-02-2016, 07:35 PM)Squizzers Wrote: Hullo and welcome to the best forum on the net!  Smile we've got other members who are your side of the pond.

thank you Smile
Hello from me too..
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9