Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscovy laying early?
Hi from me as well. I used to keep Welsh Harlequins.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I keep Call ducks (only in very small numbers these days) and my knowledge of other breeds is zero I'm afraid. Personally I wouldn't bother incubating the first eggs of the season as they are not usually fertile in ducks. Calls start laying about now (when they're young) and finish by July so I normally incubate eggs from around May. Also, I'm not sure whether a fertile egg would be viable if it has got so cold it has frozen - I would suggest waiting until your weather improves before firing up he incubator - if they choose to sit on a clutch, that's another matter obviously.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

(13-02-2016, 01:51 PM)april Wrote: I keep Call ducks (only in very small numbers these days) and my knowledge of other breeds is zero I'm afraid.  Personally I wouldn't bother incubating the first eggs of the season as they are not usually fertile in ducks.  Calls start laying about now (when they're young) and finish by July so I normally incubate eggs from around May.  Also, I'm not sure whether a fertile egg would be viable if it has got so cold it has frozen - I would suggest waiting until your weather improves before firing up he incubator - if they choose to sit on a clutch, that's another matter obviously.

ok thank you. I guess I know what I am having for breakfast tomorrow. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes JEREMIAH SLAMA's post:
  • scotsfran