Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pros and cons of electric poultry netting
Has anyone used electric poultry netting before? I live by a busy road but still want to be able to free range my birds and maybe even a few rabbits. What are the pros and cons for electric poultry netting?
I have a friends who keeps her chickens in the middle of a field about 100m from her house. They've never had a fox attack there and the chickens don't escape. She has a direct connect to electricity so does't have to keep re-charging a battery. I did think about doing the same, but my flock are quite secure in the garden.
There are no real cons in my opinion. My electric fencing was fool proof. Mine was small enough gauge for bantams as well as large fowl and had a bit of extra height. You do have to keep the grass down under the bottom of the fence - I used to just lift it and strim every couple of weeks and the initial cost is quite expensive - other than that - brilliant.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

My neighbour used it and it worked fine. Works for my Shetland ponies too!!
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teazel's post:
  • auntsally
The first 10 years I kept poultry Mrs. Fox fed her cubs with about 100 of my poultry plus the dozens just left.
Since surrounding all the pens with electric fencing we haven't lost one
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

[-] The following 1 user Likes Cockadoodledoo's post:
  • auntsally
There's a small danger to hedgehogs I believe, but I don't think you have them in USA?
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
You're right CM - sadly mine killed a hedgehog once but I never lost a chicken or duck to a predator.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

I used it for a while when the birds were away from where my house was, and apart from having to keep the battery charged and the grass cut under the fence (I believe if you put a strip of black plastic under the fence it keeps the grass down/dead ) it worked like a charm. But you do need to check it well.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
I had forgotten the problem with hedgehogs, my daughter had problems with them getting caught up and killed Shame as there are so few left now Sad I am not sure about hedgehogs living in the USA either!
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
(14-02-2016, 04:33 PM)Teazel Wrote: I had forgotten the problem with hedgehogs,  my daughter had problems with them getting caught up and killed   Shame as there are so few left now  Sad       I am not sure about hedgehogs living in the USA either!

no hedgehogs in MN so no worries there.
Any bears?! We looked and looked when we went to New England and only saw paw prints Sad Saw a skunk tho, looked like a persian cat!!
I have a flock kept within an electric fence, it has worked fine so far, charged by a couple of big solar panels (probably overkill). I have put finer plastic mesh about a foot high on the inside to protect chicks from getting shocked. I have had a couple of escapees over several years who have managed to fly over the top (and then been desperate to get back in!), but higher fences are now available - I'd go for 5 foot. I've not had any predator problems, but it does hurt when you bend over to pick something up and connect a jeans rivet on your back pocket to the fence!
As for the hedgehogs, you can cut the bottom conductor so that they don't get shocked - still OK to deter the foxes etc.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sutty's post:
  • scotsfran, Squizzers
(14-02-2016, 08:53 PM)Teazel Wrote: Any bears?!    We looked and looked when we went to New England and only saw paw prints Sad     Saw a skunk tho, looked like a persian cat!!

yeah we have bears but don't see them often. I remember seeing one on our hay field  waiting for the school bus and a few cross the road. had one come to our camp site once and ate all our food.
Electric fence is a good investment but go for the stuff that will contain growers and bantams and get a good powerful mains energiser.  I've had ours  about 14 years and we've had one fox attack.  We have foxes patrolling the perimeter and garden regularly. Disadvantages?  Hedgehogs get caught up in it and rabbits chew the bottom strands and damage it.  So do rats.  Otherwise it's great.
[-] The following 2 users Like SilkieSue's post:
  • chickenmum, scotsfran
Hi SilkieSue - hope you're back for good.