Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeding eggshells
Over the last two years, I've been feeding my chickens eggshells - thinking that would be extra calcium for them. I've not had any problems with egg eating, but I've read recently that actually eggshells aren't particularly good for them? Am I wasting my time here? I wash and dry them, then crush them up before feeding them. They do seem to like it..... I also give chicken grit as well (mainly oyster shell)
I could never be bothered I am afraid. Mine dont get grit either as I was told the layers pellets have enough grit in them, but mine are also always digging up bits of grit out the the earth and grass etc. When I did offer them grit they never touched it. But dont know about egg shells being good or bad for them. Good for keeping awat slugs Big Grin
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
(19-02-2016, 06:31 PM)Teazel Wrote: I could never be bothered I am afraid. Mine dont get grit either as I was told the layers pellets have enough grit in them, but mine are also always digging up bits of grit out the the earth and grass etc. When I did offer them grit they never touched it. But dont know about egg shells being good or bad for them. Good for keeping awat slugs Big Grin

awat slugs..new species Teasel ?
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Hens love egg shells so I tend to feed them crushed shells for just that reason. Their egg quality has always been good.

I don't think they associate eggs with egg shells unless one is broken by accident.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
quite agree squizzers mine love them - they are always cooked and crushed right down so they don't look like they come from an egg
I save mine and bake them if I remember or compost them if I don't.. The girls love them
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.