Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cough/sneeze?
Any ideas? I've noticed over the last couple of days a noise coming from one of my hens. Yesterday I thought one had been pecked and 'yelped' to get away. I looked more closely today..and one is gaping at times, with the noise - cough/sneeze - as well. I felt her throat and there is a movable lump - but I don't know if this is normal? (ie do hens have voice boxes like us?) The noise is happening from every 30 secs to being quiet for quite a while. She is eating fine and running around with the rest of the flock.

Any ideas what this could be and are there any precautions I should take? I don't have any 'chicken meds' here.
I occasionally get one that makes a sort of yelping noise, usally when they are breathing in. It normally goes away, but never felt for a lump. Not sure a out the cough/sneeze though. All you can do I suppose is keep an eye on her. Sorry cant be more help.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I guess it IS more of a yelp rather than a cough/sneeze - will keep an eye on her
Respite is very good for coughs/sneezes at this time of year. Add to the drinking water (I have the dilutions if you need it).
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • scotsfran
Sounds like she is 'snicking' and usually donates a chest infection of some sort. Respite which April suggested is excellent, but I'd you haven't got that crush up a bit of garlic and add to the drinking water.

Try and keep her out of draughts but with plenty of fresh air. Hopefully it will pass.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squizzers's post:
  • scotsfran