Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
polly wolly tunnel
Right Team,

Greenhouses I'm comfortable with having two of the darn things but Polytunnels are a new thing to me... I'm thinking of getting one for the allotment it will be un heated probably and I'm going to move my little 8x6 greenhouse down there as well... That will be heated more than likely.

So the question is, any recommendations for makes? any tips of what not to do when I erect the said beastie? and am I better off with doors both ends or a door one end and the other end I was thinking of a sort of Louvre window type affair as it will but up by the fence and I won't be using it for access.

I'm looking at something around 15 x 10 or maybe 20 x 10 and it will be used for all sorts of stuff ( Early/late Veg and salads, Few flowers out of season for in the house ... I like to spoil Mrs G, she has a lot to put up with Big Grin)

Over to you lot now.
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
Poly tunnels are expensive my niece has just bought one of these for her allotment. I can't comment on it has it hasn't been put up yet. I do know she has ordered scaffold boards to go around the bottom of it. If it an exposed site anchoring down would be the most important thing to make sure you do.
Another tip is to tape the metal edges the cover comes into contact with sorry I can't recall the name of the tape but that can be found on ebay too.

Anti hot spot tape [ I remembered ]
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Sorry - I'm no help as I've no experience with Polytunnels. Would love to hear how you get on though!! I've often wondered how they fare in the wind, but then I've seen plenty still standing after this winter.
Door each end Nick. Go for one that has the straightest sides as it gives you more growing room. Anchor it down well and it should be fine. If you've got electric, put in an overhead irrigation system - well worth it.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
(17-04-2016, 07:24 PM)Squizzers Wrote: Door each end Nick.  Go for one that has the straightest sides as it gives you more growing room. Anchor it down well and it should be fine. If you've got electric, put in an overhead irrigation system - well worth it.

its down the lotty Squizz so no electric or water ... I can use it for early hatches as well Idea
ntg

Warwickshire

(17-04-2016, 07:41 PM)Nick the Grief Wrote:
(17-04-2016, 07:24 PM)Squizzers Wrote: Door each end Nick.  Go for one that has the straightest sides as it gives you more growing room. Anchor it down well and it should be fine. If you've got electric, put in an overhead irrigation system - well worth it.

its down the lotty Squizz so no electric or water ... I can use it for early hatches as well Idea

I notice some on the allotment have chicken wire fences about 3 foot high around the outside of them. I'm not sure if this is to keep vermin out of the tunnels or not. I do know there are foxes on the site
(17-04-2016, 07:47 PM)zenith Wrote:
(17-04-2016, 07:41 PM)Nick the Grief Wrote:

I notice some on the allotment have chicken wire fences about 3 foot high around the outside of them. I'm not sure if this is to keep vermin out of the tunnels or not. I do know there are foxes on the site

keep the gardener in rofl
ntg

Warwickshire

[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick the Grief's post:
  • Squizzers
Big Grin
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
My niece sent me a photo of the poly tunnel that was  in the link I posted. It was put up today so I thought I'd share NTG

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(22-04-2016, 07:32 PM)zenith Wrote: My niece sent me a photo of the poly tunnel that was  in the link I posted. It was put up today so I thought I'd share NTG

Thanks Zen, I've looked at those but I'm not sure it would be either big enough or Man enough to stand up to the ravages of the site ...
ntg

Warwickshire

[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick the Grief's post:
  • zenith
(25-04-2016, 09:15 PM)Nick the Grief Wrote:
(22-04-2016, 07:32 PM)zenith Wrote: My niece sent me a photo of the poly tunnel that was  in the link I posted. It was put up today so I thought I'd share NTG

Thanks Zen, I've looked at those but I'm not sure it would be either big enough or Man enough to stand up to the ravages of the site ...

This site is quite open I was down there today, a wooden post has been placed inside every hoop and drilled through the frame and secured. In fairness for the price it is quite rigid and a better frame than I first thought it would be.  Plenty big enough for my nieces needs. Beautiful day down there today skirt all around the poly tunnel back filled which makes it even more secure against the elements. Three new raised planters created from 13 ft x 4 ft scaffolding boards and another 3 yet to be built . In brilliant sunshine and just the sounds of bird song it's a good place to be to just unwind from everyday life. It sometime feels like a travel back in time for me as my late father had an allotment on the same site and I remember going there from the age of 5, I use to sell his excess cabbages and cauliflowers to houses in the area for 6d each  2 1/2 p each in new money for those not of the pre decimal age. My niece is thinking of buying another to use the frame as a net tunnel and then she would have a spare poly tunnel cover too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes zenith's post:
  • scotsfran
The polytunnels(PT) down my allotment are huge!! I think they're all about insect protection rather than bringing stuff on early. One couple down there have the best PT and the best veg in it. Huge cabbages and immense purple sprouting broccoli. They're there every day as they live in a flat now so it's their garden. I'm envious!
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
My niece lives in a flat with very little garden so the allotment is used nearly everyday Smile way behind with the planting this year as her friend that helps has had a knee replacement. You can only do so much at a time and it should be enjoyable and  at ones own pace. A walk in net tunnel is the next to be on the to do list, this for members of the brassica family using 7mm net to keep the cabbage whites out.
Keeping the weeds down is the biggest battle if only everything else grew so well Smile