Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
electric fence
Not really sure if this should be in Feeding and Health Care,  but thought it worth mentioning.     Because of our problem with a young fox we have put up an electric fence inside our wall.    A week or so ago my ex free range rescue hen was looking very miserable and I thought her time was up.  The next day she was back to normal.   Then a few days ago my Shetland looked similar,  very lethargic, that faraway look in their eyes and hardly eating.   Now three days later she is back to normal.

OH said he had noticed that both these hens had got under the electric fence to eat the grass on the other side, and the fence looked a bit scrambled.  So we can only think they had got a shock from the fence and it had made them poorly.    We are now switching the fence off during the day.  The whole thing is temporary until we can refence inside the wall.    But I am coming round to the shock being the reason for them both to be out of sorts for a few days.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Quote possible T. They give quote a belt!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
I know I am no chicken...but I remember  holding onto the metal part of my pony's head collar, then lost balance and stupidly put my hand on the electric fence. At first I thought the pony had kicked me in the chest! It was quite a thud and the pony also got a shock and ran off. I guess it's quite possible that your girls got a shock too, even through their feathers.
I've seen my birds get shocked - lots of squawking but nothing more. Is there any way they could have got tangled up, or stuck as they came back under the fence, and repeatedly shocked?
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Agree with Sutty - a quick shock produces a bit of sqwarking and flapping but nothing else. Do wonder whether a couple of them actually got tangled up and repeatedly shocked - that would have been quite unpleasant and may have had a detrimental effect for a day or two - no idea why they would have continued to try to move through the fence though once they got the first shock (which really isn't that bad) - silly things.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

it is possible they could have got caught up judging by the state of the electric tape!
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
(23-04-2016, 03:39 PM)Teazel Wrote: it is possible they could have got caught up judging by the state of the electric tape!

Electric tape should be taut not floppy
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
It was when we put it up Big Grin