Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poo pick or not to poo pick
I just wondered what everyone else does? I always go and poo pick in the hen house daily. I started this right from the beginning, thinking it would reduce the smell of keeping chickens - which it does seem to (but do they smell anyway?). It also helps to keep the eggs clean, except when the run itself is a mud bath. 

Does anyone else poo pick - daily, weekly, or not at all?
A good clean out of their house once a week (sometimes a little less than this if the birds have been outside more than usual and the weather is very dry). Poo picking once you go over a very small number of birds is virtually a full-time job.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

I do occasionally poo pick fort knox and take out the worst of the poo under the perches. It can become a bit addictive tho and OCD ish Big Grin
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I lay newspaper under the perches in the evening then pull it out and burn it each morning. Once a month a good clean out and powder. The Saturday Telegraph is the right size send sorts our three houses out all week with plenty left over for lighting wood burners.
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.