Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tylosin (Tylan) - a warning!
A few weeks ago I had a few birds with respiratory problems, the young ones got over it easily, but Sapphie my lovely friendly fluffy blue brahma was really unwell, not interested in food and didn't see her drinking at all.
I had some Tylosin powder (soluble stuff), Tylan is one of the brands of this most familiar, although this was a different brand.
It is normally added to the water, but as she was so unwell, and as I didn't really want to dose the rest of the flock, I did some calculations and made up a dose in a couple of ml of water. I dripped this into her beak with a small syringe. The next day I was working late so she was in the coop by the time I got home. However OH said she looked much brighter and was now interested in food. Encouraged that she was responding to the antibiotic I repeated the dose, but she seemed to breathe in a few drops of the solution and was more "rattly", as I put her back in the coop she coughed a bit strangely a couple of times. When I checked a couple of hours later she had died.
It seems likely that the solution had caused airway swelling and she choked. I was so sorry to lose a lovely girl, and thought I would post this as a warning to anyone considering the same treatment. I was so sorry that I hadn't waited until morning and tempted her to take some of the drug in some food.
If I felt forced to use this again I would crop feed it with a tube rather than giving it into the beak, as less likely to be aspirated into the lungs that way.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
When I have one 'rattly/coughy' hen, I now make up a 1/4 tsp of tylan in 1 pint of water and put said hen in to a separate coop for the day (with the drinking water and some food). I put her back with the others overnight. So far, this has worked and has taken over from syringing medication, which I think is dodgy at best. Sorry you lost your bird Sutty - it's all a learning curve isn't it?
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • zenith
So sorry that you lost your girl Sutty   Sad - but many thanks for sharing your experience.
Sorry you lost your bird too Sutty Sad
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Thank you for the warning, sorry you lost your lovely Brahma though.
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
I'm so sorry you lost her
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
Such a shame Sutty.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers