Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adapt shed/summerhouse into a chicken house?
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of keeping L/F brahmas and am just wondering if I would be able to convert my shed/summerhouse so as not have to spend a fortune.  I know that I would have to take the felt roof off and use onduline instead but I have other queries.  As I think it is a summerhouse it has two very large windows (of of which is in the door).  How would I deal with this?  Also, am I right in thinking that brahmas don't perch because they are too heavy so does that mean I don't need to include rooster bars.  Would crisp boxes be good for nesting boxes if changed regularly.  Also would it be an easy thing to cut a little door for them in the door.

So many questions.

if you can think of any other housing which isn't too expensive that would be suitable I would be very pleased to hear.  I would need a run at first but then when my garden is suitably fenced off they would be free-ranging all day.

x
Shed/ summer houses make the best coop in my opinion as you can adapt them to suit your needs. Large windows can be meshed both sides for protection . There are a lot of good examples in the members housing solutions . Smile
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Thank you Zenith. Thinking about it though my OH gets stressed doing anything DIY and is at this moment ranting about putting a curtain rail up so maybe I ought to look into buying a house! :-0

Could you tell me how to do a link and I could show you a poultry house I am looking at?

x
If you click on the 'insert a link' icon in the tool bar...its the one next to the 'envelope' - you can put your link in there. Does that help?  blink
(20-07-2016, 01:52 PM)scotsfran Wrote: If you click on the 'insert a link' icon in the tool bar...its the one next to the 'envelope' - you can put your link in there. Does that help?  blink

Thank you Fran - I did know how to do it at one time but I think I'm having a senior moment. Cry

What do you think of this hen house and run - the run can be extended too. Devon House

Or this one on ebay: Haven Model

Bearing in mind for two L/F brahmas.  Hope I've done this correctly!  Cry

x
(20-07-2016, 02:27 PM)daphne Wrote:
(20-07-2016, 01:52 PM)scotsfran Wrote: If you click on the 'insert a link' icon in the tool bar...its the one next to the 'envelope' - you can put your link in there. Does that help?  blink

Thank you Fran - I did know how to do it at one time but I think I'm having a senior moment. Cry

What do you think of this hen house and run - the run can be extended too. Devon House

Or this one on ebay: Haven Model

Bearing in mind for two L/F brahmas.  Hope I've done this correctly!  Cry

x

Your links weren't quite right Daphne, but I've corrected them for you  Smile
I don't know why I can't get the second link but it's a used Flytes of Fancy Haven hen house with 9 ft run on ebay  Blush

x
(20-07-2016, 02:44 PM)daphne Wrote: I don't know why I can't get the second link but it's a used Flytes of Fancy Haven hen house with 9 ft run on ebay  Blush

x

Think I've sorted the links for you - please check your original post. The advantage of the Haven one - you get more 'ground room' with the chickens being able to get under the house - which would also provide shelter?
Thank you Fran - have also realised that I've put this in the wrong section - DOH!!!!!!  Blush

x

Is it possible to move it so that I might get more opinions?  As I said I could you can add to the Devon House run.

x
I did notice this  was in the TGD section! I'll have a go at moving it to the chicken section......
Brahmas DO perch - or at least mine do! Having said that, they often won't go up to a very high perch, but about 6" is OK.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sutty's post:
  • auntsally
Looking at the devon house link just a word of caution whilst shopping about for housing. Many of these housing types are imports and whilst they look very nice the wood they are made from just won't stand up to the UK weather. Brahma's tend to be on the large side so a small shed with wooden or cardboard boxes for nest boxes would be best, easier for cleaning out too.
It is quite easy to make them a small door to go in and out of, a run can be made using wooden frames and netting. Smile
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
I have had two of these cheaper hen houses in the past - similar to this one hen house - although I don't see the exact same model. I love the design as it is very practical, but they only last for a couple of years in the Scottish climate. I even painted the outside and varnished the inside the second time around.
Thank you Fran and Zenith - I think I sort of worked it out.  I've decided to go for a omlet cube - I know not popular with everyone on here but I think for health reasons it would be better for me.  I will let you know what happens - what this space  Cry#

x
(21-07-2016, 09:54 PM)daphne Wrote: Thank you Fran and Zenith - I think I sort of worked it out.  I've decided to go for a omlet cube - I know not popular with everyone on here but I think for health reasons it would be better for me.  I will let you know what happens - what this space  Cry#

x

You have to get what works for you and your set up at the end of the day. Smile
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9