Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redmite (just for a change)
I have used the Mitekill liquid three times now and still they appear out of the cracks and corners. They dont appear to be moving much so presume they are dead or dying.     I have also put the diamatemous (cant spell it and cant be bothered to walk down the garden to look!!)   but they seem to live in that quite happily.   I assume they are alive as they are full of blood when I squish them.

I went to the Gillingham and Shaftesbury Agricultural Show today  (Jennifer was racing in the display team) and met up with a large breeder of various bantams - I fell in love with a chocolate Pekin - and they said their best results were from using limewash diluted a bit as it burns them and they dont like it.   So am thinking of trying that is its less smelly as the creosote and dries much more quickly.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Sounds worth a try...
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
My sulphur fumigation hasn't completely eradicated them, there are a few still around, but the vast majority were killed. Maybe doing repeatedly at short intervals might do it, I guess there are always likely to be one or two hitching a ride on the birds during the day.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Well I definitely seem to be clear by just creosoting and ant powder but I am considering using some smoke bombs periodically - they seem to be coming in to some of the horse supply/pet supply type places now so may give them a go in a few months time just to see if it will help keep my houses clear.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

I caught a lot last night when I vaselined the ends of the perches...............they are well stuck !
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I honestly believe once you've got them, you've got them. It's just a case of managing their numbers. I've creosoted, vaselined, Deathlaced Choc periboed and still there's a few creeping about. In desperation I bought Red Stop, that doesn't work if you ask me. I'm fed up, although the girls seem unfazed. But the numbers of them caught in the Vaseline is pleasing...
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
I cant believe how many I have got and still they come in huge numbers. Its really depressing, I know you never really get rid of them, but I would like to see a much bigger decrease in their numbers especially as it was a new house only a few weeks ago Sad
I think I had 100s of 1000s prior to clean out and fumigation - the bedding was simply crawling with them! I had to spray all surfaces of the compost wheelie-bin as they were all over it, many per square cm!! There were 1000s of dead ones after fumigating, but Still a few remain!!
I've wondered about simultaneously fumigating and treating the birds with fipronil/frontline.
There is a "new" product which has a different mode of action (so no cross-resistance) called spinosad, marketed as Elector, but very expensive as sold in commercial quantities, £342 per litre!! - we could buy one between a few of us and split it?

Just read about Elector on another forum, someone used it but found that it didnt work the following year as she said they seemed to be resistant to it.

Apparently another way to use lime from the builders is to put it on the floor, then the sawdust or whatever you use and then mix more in to that. I must say I was horrified to find the redmit all over the floor this time. I am sure I have never found them on the floor before. I am spraying the wheelbarrow, broom, the mite infested shavings and then burning them straight away.

So we are definitely going to get some lime from the Builders and put a wash over the inside.
Re the lime - I bought some a while ago to try and 'dilute' the effect of the poo but then I read that it might be harmful for the chickens feet? Does anyone know any more about this? The red mite seem to have been particularly bad this year  mad
(18-08-2016, 09:48 PM)Teazel Wrote: Just read about Elector on another forum,  someone  used it but found that it didnt work the following year as she said they seemed to be resistant to it.  

Apparently another way to use lime from the builders is to put it on the floor, then the sawdust or whatever you use and then mix more in to that.  I must say I was horrified to find the redmit all over the floor this time.   I am sure I have never found them on the floor before.  I am spraying the wheelbarrow, broom, the mite infested shavings and then burning them straight away.

So we are definitely going to get some lime from the Builders and put a wash over the inside.

I'd definitely use the sulphur to reduce the numbers if its that bad. Depending on how big your coop is fill one or two or more 400g empty tins (eg a standard can of tomatoes, cat food, etc) with sulphur powder, (take off the paper cover), place in the coop on a stone/brick/slate, and light them eg with a blowlamp ( a match might do it, or maybe a candle stub). Close up the coop, seal up any obvious gaps with duct tape, and leave for 6 to 8 hours. Open the doors and air for half an hour or an hour before adding bedding and letting the birds back. You may want to sweep up all the dead mites before adding bedding!!

I've also been wondering about trying this
http://www.poultryhealth.co.uk/index.php...duct_id=85

(18-08-2016, 10:16 PM)Sutty Wrote:
(18-08-2016, 09:48 PM)Teazel Wrote: Just read about Elector on another forum,  someone  used it but found that it didnt work the following year as she said they seemed to be resistant to it.  

Apparently another way to use lime from the builders is to put it on the floor, then the sawdust or whatever you use and then mix more in to that.  I must say I was horrified to find the redmit all over the floor this time.   I am sure I have never found them on the floor before.  I am spraying the wheelbarrow, broom, the mite infested shavings and then burning them straight away.

I'd definitely use the sulphur to reduce the numbers if its that bad. Depending on how big your coop is fill one or two or more 400g empty tins (eg a standard can of tomatoes, cat food, etc) with sulphur powder, (take off the paper cover), place in the coop on a stone/brick/slate, and light them eg with a blowlamp ( a match might do it, or maybe a candle stub). Close up the coop, seal up any obvious gaps with duct tape, and leave for 6 to 8 hours. Open the doors and air for half an hour or an hour before adding bedding and letting the birds back. You may want to sweep up all the dead mites before adding bedding!!

I've also been wondering about trying this
http://www.poultryhealth.co.uk/index.php...duct_id=85

I see that it is a fungacide and bacteriacide - but would it do anything for red mite?
Elector didn't work - I tried it a few years back!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
(18-08-2016, 10:11 PM)scotsfran Wrote: Re the lime - I bought some a while ago to try and 'dilute' the effect of the poo but then I read that it might be harmful for the chickens feet? Does anyone know any more about this? The red mite seem to have been particularly bad this year  mad

I thought the same so had decided not to coat the top of the perches,  just maybe the underneath.
Well OH having spent 3 weeks earlier in the summer lining the new shed so as to make it fox proof, we then took it all out in a couple of hours and burnt the lot.  Each piece had been cut to size and screwed in so I could see OH wincing a bit Dodgy   We made it cosy for redmite as they got between the two layers.     As you know I used mitekill liquid,  red mite barrier powder,  that earth stuff (which I Have to say they thought was rather nice and didnt seem to do them any harm whatsoever)    The dettol moved them around a bit but obviously didnt kill enough.

So now we have creosoted the whole inside which is a shame as its now very dark in there and the green paint outside is streaked with creosote.   But hopefully it will have cut them down or killed them all.

Luckily we have other houses for the chickens to sleep in although they kept wandering round the newly creosoted shed looking a bit lost.

Watch this space,    oh, and it was the proper creosote.  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Teazel's post:
  • Squizzers, auntsally