Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redmite (just for a change)
I have been out there creosoting the third house this afternoon. Bit worryingly, within half an hour I felt sick and dizzy and had to stop. This happened a few days ago as well..can a person become allergic to creosote? At this rate it will take me a while to finish this one..??
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
Have you been wearing a face mask Aunt Sally ?
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

I have to say we didnt use a mask this time, but we both felt ok. Hope you are ok AS
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teazel's post:
  • auntsally
I didn't wear a face mask...I used to creosote without problem.?
was it the new stuff or the old stuff?
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Maybe you now need to wear a mask AS. I can no longer use mould sprays as they make me feel really poorly,MrK9 gets that job now. Big Grin
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Real stuff Teazel and yes K9 I have bought some masks for using in the future...
I thought I was winning this battle and then I went out last night and they were everywhere. I'm totally fed up. We're getting a new coop soon (hopefully) but I'm thinking maybe just go plastic with a smaller coop and less birds.
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
(29-08-2016, 07:54 AM)chickenmum Wrote: I thought I was winning this battle and then I went out last night and they were everywhere.  I'm totally fed up.  We're getting a new coop soon (hopefully) but I'm thinking maybe just go plastic with a smaller coop and less birds.

Try the sulphur fumigation - an empty standard 400g tin works well, (beans, tomatoes, cat food, etc), with label removed, filled with sulphur powder, and placed on a heat-proof slate. place in the coop, light (easiest with a blowlamp, but a small bit of candlewax and a match should work fine, a match on its own might be OK but I can't promise), and close up the coop (no birds in there of course!!!) - it burns with a low very pale blue flame, almost invisible. Seal up any obvious cracks or gaps with parcel tape/duct tape or whatever, and leave for 6-8hrs (or longer if possible). I used 2 tins for a 8' x 3' x 5' coop - sulphur is cheap. Keep the birds away so they aren't next to leaks from the coop, though I doubt they would stay there!

Air well for at least an hour then check the smell has gone, (though I swept mine out within half an hour - lots of dead mites). Leave for a while longer before any birds are closed in, to allow any residual gas to come out of the wood.

At a minimum I would expect the numbers to be cut to a miniscule fraction of pre-treatment levels. My coop was crawling with them beforehand (literally 100s of 1000s, several per square centimetre on all surfaces, it was horrible) I found one or two a couple of nights later, and they looked sick. I haven't totally eradicated but So much better.

Sulphur is often available from horse tack/feed shops in 1.5 to 5Kg packs.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sutty's post:
  • scotsfran