Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hay
This year we made some hay by hand and put it in the ponies' field shelter.  Half is good enough for the ponies, the other half is not quite as good so I am using it for the guinea pigs.    

As shavings are so expensive I have decided to use it for the chickens too.   I know both hay and straw (straw more) are frowned upon because of harbouring redmite, but what do you think about using the hay on the floor.   The main coop was creosoted a few weeks ago the Silkie house doesnt appear to have redmite at the moment either.

There is enough to last all winter so it seems a shame to waste it.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I would be more concerned about mould spores from hay that gets damp on the floor.
I would use in nest boxes,not on the coop floor.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Its not really mouldy and as I have loads and loads, I can renew it regularly so it doesnt get damp. The ones in the new coop roost, the Silkies dont roost in their house so I guess I might have to renew theirs daily.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
try it and see, if it's no good then you've lost nothing?
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
I too have read recommendations specifically not to use hay except in the nest boxes, as it tends to contain moulds that proliferate rapidly once damp from droppings, and can cause respiratory problems.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
T i know its not mouldy now,its when it gets damp from being on the floor,droppings etc.
If you did use on the floor then you have to change regularly, daily if they are actually sitting on it.You would have to be very careful to check for respiritory problems in your birds all the time you are using it.Chickens are prone to snuffles etc anyway without adding to the mix.I really would stick to just using as nesting material.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
I use hay but we spread it out on the ground, under some very dry conifers. The hens love scratching around in it. I fork it out if it gets damp/deteriorates and then put on compost/muck heap. I don't use it in the house.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SilkieSue's post:
  • Teazel
It looks like it works on the floor when the birds perch and as long as I change it every day or so, but not when the birds sleep on the ground, unless you change it religiously every day. It doesnt have time to get mouldy and I can get away with fluffing it up in the main house under the perches or just remove the dirty bits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teazel's post:
  • chickenmum