Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of an era
yesterday we lost our last Bernese Rioja.
I bred her so saw her into the world and saw her out of it. She has been going downhill for a while but still had her spark until Saturday when she looked very tired although her tail still flapped whenever we spoke to her. She was a fruitloop as a youngster,one memorable occaision we couldnt find the chain that held her kennel door open,frantic searching praying she hadnt eaten it.Trip to vet out of ours on a Saturday evening !! and yep there is was, a ball of chain in her tum.As it was in a ball the vet decided to let nature take its course.So two days of poo prodding and it reappeared.She thought the whole thing hliarious but that was Rio, life was one big party to her. We didnt dare bend over near her as without fail her nose was shoved up your nether regions with some force,ive been tipped on the floor many times. She only saw a vet twice in her 11+yrs.Once for the afore mentioned chain and then again for Pyometra which she bounced through like nothing happened.Thats not bad going for the breed.
After 21yrs of having Bernese there is now a huge hole here.Its going to take some getting used to.
If any of you get the James Wellbeloved magazine,the vets Bernese is Rio's sister.
Rio..you were a joy for all of your 11and 3/4 yrs..nite nite sweetheart,we miss you so very much.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
So very sad for you K9 - It's very hard get used to life without the 'big guys'. RIP Rioja xx
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Sorry for your loss K9  remembering the memorable times helps a little but as you say they leave a big hole to fill. Sad
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
So sorry K9. I feel for you as last Thursday we had our little Bonny put down, my shadow for 13 of her 15 years. Such a sad time for you. Sending hugs xx
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
Gosh AS - you should have told us - most of us have dogs on here and know how hard it is to lose a friend. That's the 3 of use who have lost dogs in the last few months.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • auntsally
Im so sorry AuntSally
Doing breakfasts and dinners today has had me in tears. 7 little ones and no big one.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
So sad K9. We have a 5year old Cairn who is pining for the companion she has known all her life. Today is
the first day I haven't ended up in tears when I remember that Bonny isn't with me any more..
I think we need a group hug Cry
It is good that can share bad as well as good times and know others will understand us on PC.
(28-03-2017, 09:19 AM)auntsally Wrote: It is good that can share bad as well as good times and know others will understand us on PC.

It is good isnt it. I feel like im wading through treacle.
The place just isnt right without a big tri coloured fluffy bear.
All these raw emotions ...... I have been through them all, and there is no easy way to get through them.  We have had lots of various cats and dogs, but the one that really stands out is Lucy, just an ordinary ginger cat but what a big personality.  When I first became ill several years ago, she used the sit on my shoulder with her paws around my neck and sneak into the bedroom at night and lie on my pillow.  She knew the sound of the car and was always at the window when I came home.  She lived until she was 15 and died peacefully in her sleep  .. it took me ages to get over her passing.

I am not a person that dreams a lot, but 2 years after Lucy died I dreamt of her and it was as clear as clear could be.  I was sitting in my favourite comfortable chair reading and in she walked with a dead mouse in her mouth.  She dropped it at me feet, gave me a look I remember well, and walked out of the room.  I woke up and it was so real I had to go and look to see if there was a dead mouse by my chair.  Of course there wasn't, and I muttered to myself "You silly ........" and went back to bed.  Smile
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

[-] The following 3 users Like Cockadoodledoo's post:
  • k9crystal, april, auntsally
oh how sad for those who have lost their four legged friends - no matter what anyone says they are part of the family. I still miss my cat who had been with me for 18 years through a lot of life changes.
sorry for your loss K9 - but once the raw hurt dies down a bit you will enjoy the lovely memories you have of her.
Oh dear, my little Tilly the Cairn is pining. She is only 5 but just lies in her bed looking sad. At least she is still eating...
It is so sad losing a dog that has been part of the family for years and years. Doesn't matter how many you have you always miss them. Time is a healer tho and I have trouble remembering some of my earlier ones in any detail, Buster was my first that my mum bought instead of some tomatoes. Apparently he was for sale in the Market. He was my very first, a black and white mongrel, and he lived to be 16 and died a few days before we got married....... Thinking of you K9

Sorry to hear about your loss too AS
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teazel's post:
  • auntsally