Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your opinion please.
When i had made the decision to have Rio pts i gave her some sedative after i had confirmed vet appointment.
This is something i have done with every dog so that i am the last person they see as they drift off not a vet with a syringe and needle.
We placed her right at the back of our estate car in the position the vet would find easiest. Once the vet came out Rio was snoring quietly,completely relaxed.
Young vet and nurse arrive,never seen either of them,didnt bother to introduce themselves.
nurse wanted to carry Rio into the surgery,Rio weighed around 40kg !!! I said no she was to go to sleep where she was,not being manhandled into surgery. Vet asked if i had sedated and seemed miffed when i said yes.She responded by telling us that it would make the job "more challenging" due to veins being collapsed. I replied that her veins would have been collapsed/difficult anyway as she was so poorly.She replied that a catheter would have to be used to which i replied thats fine,do whatever you have to do. She did struggle as first but i wasnt too bothered as Rio hadnt a clue what was going on, nurse kept wafting her hands about saying that her fingers were aching!!! They knew what breed therefore should know that they are big boned therefore should have appropriate equipment to help raise the vein ??
The vet made me feel i had done wrong,its never been an issue before,my usual vet wouldnt have commented,he would have just quietly got on with it.
I asked this question on a facebook page and had many replies that they sedate before the vet as i did.That made me feel a bit better.
Do i put in a complaint or do i just leave it and hope the vet learns a little more empathy under such circumstances.
What would you lovely people do ??
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
I would definitely complain. I have absolutely no loyalty to vets and as far as I am concerned they are working for me. If they get it wrong......I leave them and go elsewhere. I question, complain and expect proper explanations at all times and poor service should not be tolerated. If a vet is not experienced enough to euthanase a sedated dog, then they are clearly not up to the job. Personally I do not sedate my dogs first (and I expect the vet in question was miffed because you had self-prescribed) however, that was your choice and not for her to make comment at such a stressful time. She could of course, bring that subject up with you at another more appropriate meeting. As for the nurse, I would have asked for her to be replaced with one less 'dramatic' - silly girl ! When working as a Dog Warden, we used many different tactics and methods to make the whole process as stress free as possible and in many cases, injecting in to the back leg was a much better method allowing me to concentrate on the front end of the dog - kissing, cuddling and feeding sausages as appropriate. Write a letter of complaint K9, I think it will make you feel better and more in control. Your vet practice will treat you differently in the future - with the respect you (a very experienced owner and breeder) deserves. Hope that helps. xx
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 2 users Like april's post:
  • auntsally, k9crystal
Thank you April.
Perhaps i should have told her the sedatives were sold/given to me to do as i see fit by her boss!! the practise owner.
I suppose she wasnt to know that i know what im doing with them,even so she shouldnt have commented as she did.

There will much more self medicating going on these days due to the skyhigh charges,that does worry me.How many are wrongly self medicated and how many suffer because they are not medicated at all.
Veterinary charges really need looking into.
Also on the facebook forum ive been very shocked how many have had awful service/incompetence from vets when their animal is being pts.
Speaking to a customer who has a smallholding that had a sheep needing to be pts,vet turned up 2hrs late with no warning of lateness and then mucked the whole thing up taking well over an hour. He would have done better to shoot the poor animal.He took himself off to another practise soon after.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
We didn't sedate first, but Bonny wasn't really with it anyway. Our vet is wonderful with the animals and owners, but yes, the charges!
Initial consultation, eye drops and painkillers............£79
Week later, light anaesthetic to look and see if foreign body in eye. No overnight stay.
Plus cream at £63 a small tube.............................£389
PTS 36hours later.................................................£78.
Total of ....... £546.
15 year old dog which could not be insured but we are OK as since the insurance company shot the premiums for her up we have been putting the same amount into a savings account for her vet treatment.
How do people who love their pet dearly but are living on low incomes cope?
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
My experience when my 18 year old cat was ptswasnot a happy one. The young vet said that it was good practice to inject direct direct into the heart. My cat screamed at the end...so heartbreaking. I did complain to the head vet saying surely the cat should have been sedated at least. I didnt get a very satsfactory answer, butI didnt see the girl vet at the practice again.
(30-03-2017, 10:30 PM)scotsfran Wrote: My experience when my 18 year old cat was ptswasnot a happy one. The young vet said that it was good practice to inject direct direct into the heart. My cat screamed at the end...so heartbreaking. I did complain to the head vet saying surely the cat should have been sedated at least. I didnt get a very satsfactory answer, butI didnt see the girl vet at the practice again.

The only dog i didnt sedate was my second Bernese Blaize. he was pts as his elbows and hips all had serious issues and in those days new elbows were not an option like they are today. So at 14mnths old he was otherwise fit and healthy.He cried and whimpered and tried to bite the vet.Horrendous experience that i never wish to repeat.
Im so sorry about your cat Scotsfran,makes it all the more upsetting. Sad
As many of you know I'm an anaesthetist - and so fairly familiar with the drugs etc used.
I really can't see a problem with sedating an animal before taking it to be euthanased. The word "Euthanasia" is from the greek "Eu" = level/calm/gentle and "Thanatos" = death, therefore "a gentle death", an anxiety reducing/eliminating sedative at home seems common sense to me in achieving this, and I would be requesting this from any vet when making the appointment.
I'm so sorry to hear of people's poor experiences - its seems so unnecessary, I've got to say my vets have always been pretty good.
Personally I wouldn't complain as such - but I would write a considered letter of constructive criticism, explaining how you feel their practice could be improved, and explaining that you are doing this in an attempt to reduce the suffering of both the animals they treat, and their owners who are the vets' clients.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sutty's post:
  • k9crystal, scotsfran
An excellent post Sutty ..... we are all very lucky to have your words of wisdom
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

[-] The following 1 user Likes Cockadoodledoo's post:
  • auntsally