Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ideas ?
I have a Pekin chick which hatched yesterday morning (with some assistance).  It has made absolutely no progress since then.  It is asleep virtually all the time (flat on it's front).  It gets to it's feet occasionally for a second but then falls straight back to sleep.  It's as if it hatched a few minutes ago.  The rest of the hatch are now in the brooder but I have left this one in the incubator and today I have started getting it out every couple of hours to dip it's beak in sugar water - I don't think it's actually swallowing any of it but I keep trying.  Anyone else experienced this or got any ideas.  I obviously won't let it go on too long but want to give it a chance in case the stress or shock of the assisted hatch has caused it to be completely exhausted but little else.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

I think you are doing what you can April. maybe give it today to show any improvement and then make a decision later, that is if its survived the night.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Unfortunately it died yesterday evening.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

That's really sad, but you did your best. xx
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Awwwww   Sad  How many others did you get?
5 x lemon and 3 x silver partridge. Not a brilliant hatch but considering all the palaver with my incubator breaking down, I should be grateful for any at all. Will definitely return to the breeder/supplier again as 15 out of 20 were fertile and viable - just the problems with the replacement incubator that spoiled the hatch rate I think. Same breeder has RIR Bantams so may well get some more hatching eggs later in the Summer.