Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood Burners ?
I have read an old thread on here from 2009 but it didn't answer my question. We are thinking of having a wood burner fitted in the lounge. We currently have an open fire place, which I know will need opening up. I didn't know until I looked, just how many types of wood burner are available. My question is what is best cast iron or steel ? 

We have seen one that we really like but it is steel construction and not cast iron. It is defra  approved and the company fits to hetas standards, doing the building alterations too. I was just wondering what you all consider to be the best.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
I can't answer this one - both our wood burners are cast iron and we love the heat that comes off them. In many ways a lot easier than an open fire. Good luck with your choice!
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotsfran's post:
  • zenith
Mine living room one is steel (made by Villager), and works well. I think steel is less likely to crack and doubt if many are cast (except for the grate itself).
My advice would be to get a multifuel rather than just wood burner, then you can burn coal as well as wood, which is MUCH easier to keep burning slowly overnight - ours burns continuously for weeks at a time in winter. The focal heat seems to make for a cosier room than central heating alone.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sutty's post:
  • scotsfran, zenith
ours are cast iron,never had problems with cracking.
Our old one was a Norfolk Cottager,they are no longer in production.Our new one to go in the lounge is under wraps for the future and i cant remember what that one is.
The one in the kitchen we got from a local company who were doing a deal for the stove,fitting of steel chimney liner,fitting and commisioning of stove for £1200.That was a couple of years ago now.
Chimney lining is ridiculously expensive stuff but is a necessity.
Multifuel stoves are best as with coal on they chug away 24/7 . if wood only then you are forever tending to them.
we wouldnt be without our one in the kitchen,its kept us warm for many a winter.
Another tip is consider wether you want to cook on it,if you do make sure the top has room for kettle and/or casserole dish. using a trivet it acts as a slow cooker.
Our kitchen one has an air wash system that keeps the glass clean,in the two years thats its been running i have never yet cleaned the glass.That is another thing to consider,no messy cleaning particularly as yours is going in your lounge.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
[-] The following 1 user Likes k9crystal's post:
  • zenith
Thank you all the one I like is this one . Good point K9 I don't know if the has an air wash system or not, but will ask when I view it. 
I have found out that steel bodied ones heat up quicker and that cast ones are slow to heat up, but retain the heat for longer.
Best advice I can give about having a wood burner is to invest a small amount of money in an Ash Hoover for cleaning out - so much less mess.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • zenith
(14-06-2017, 11:32 AM)april Wrote: Best advice I can give about having a wood burner is to invest a small amount of money in an Ash Hoover for cleaning out - so much less mess.

Thanks April  Smile another thing on the wanted list. Most of the work is going to be opening up the fire place, done by the installer I can imagine the dust when they start on that,  so the vac maybe first on the list to consider.
Ours is also cast iron - multi fuel.  Check your chimney - fortunately we did and had to have it lined.
Wouldn't be without it in the winter.
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

(14-06-2017, 05:17 PM)Cockadoodledoo Wrote: Ours is also cast iron - multi fuel.  Check your chimney - fortunately we did and had to have it lined.
Wouldn't be without it in the winter.

The company who does the installation does line the chimney. Although when I went back to an open fire the chimney sweep said it didn't need lining I told them this and they said they still line them.
Im surprised at what the chimney sweep said, We will be lining the lounge chimney as well when it comes to doing the job. ive been witness to two chimney fires in the village,wouldnt wish that on anyone.
we now also have a chimney brush that you attach to a drill to make cleaning easier and more thorough.Not a cheap item but we have the kitchen chimney,potentially lounge chimney and the biomass boiler chimney so thought it worth the investment.
Good advice re the hoover,as ours is in kitchen any mess is soon swept up off the tiled floor and now and again we let it go out for Henry to clean when the ashes are cold.We will be getting an ash hoover when the lounge one is running.
Another point,we have stove fans on ours and they do work,cheaper to buy these days but they do push the heat forward.

(14-06-2017, 10:18 AM)zenith Wrote: Thank you all the one I like is this one . Good point K9 I don't know if the has an air wash system or not, but will ask when I view it. 
I have found out that steel bodied ones heat up quicker and that cast ones are slow to heat up, but retain the heat for longer.

looks good zenith. ive no experience of steel bodied ones so cant comment.
Are you going to run it 24/7 or just occaisionally? Will it be running anything else? The one we have have for the lounge will have a back boiler for hot water.
Also dont be tempted to go too big, it will use more fuel obviously and you and Mrs Z will end up sitting in your underwear as they really do throw out some heat.
Warn Mrs Z that she will have to get out the duster more often but you get used to it.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
  • zenith
K9 it will only be used during the winter months  just to cut back on CH usage. 5 kw should be big enough to keep the room warm . I laughed at the thought of us sitting in our underwear  laugh  It is a multi fuel so we have the choice of what to burn, but we usually just burn logs . I have a good supply of logs stored at the moment and more to cut up yet.
Just had a look at the photo of the one you are thinking of Zenith. I looks fab - very clean and smart looking
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotsfran's post:
  • zenith
just peered at our kitchen one,it is a Firefox.

(15-06-2017, 08:58 AM)zenith Wrote: K9 it will only be used during the winter months  just to cut back on CH usage. 5 kw should be big enough to keep the room warm . I laughed at the thought of us sitting in our underwear  laugh  It is a multi fuel so we have the choice of what to burn, but we usually just burn logs . I have a good supply of logs stored at the moment and more to cut up yet.

Are your logs hard or soft wood? they go through softwood very quickly hence you are forever tending to it. It does help to have a layer of coal on the bottom so you are not refueling all the time. Hardwood would be ok.
we only use softwood as we have a limitless free supply.
I love ours when the wood is crackling and the kettle is singing away.
They are also handy for rainy chilly summer days to take the chill off the house.
  • zenith
(15-06-2017, 09:08 AM)k9crystal Wrote: just peered at our kitchen one,it is a Firefox.

(15-06-2017, 08:58 AM)zenith Wrote: K9 it will only be used during the winter months  just to cut back on CH usage. 5 kw should be big enough to keep the room warm . I laughed at the thought of us sitting in our underwear  laugh  It is a multi fuel so we have the choice of what to burn, but we usually just burn logs . I have a good supply of logs stored at the moment and more to cut up yet.

Are your logs hard or soft wood? they go through softwood very quickly hence you are forever tending to it. It does help to have a layer of coal on the bottom so you are not refueling all the time. Hardwood would be ok.
we only use softwood as we have a limitless free supply.
I love ours when the wood is crackling and the kettle is singing away.
They are also handy for rainy chilly summer days to take the chill off the house.

At the moment I have a good supply of hard wood but tend to mix it with soft wood too. I have a lot of oak tree  rounds which I still need to split . Most of last winters logs were free and I still have a good supply which will see me through most of next.
Well after a trip to the show room yesterday we settled on this model  similar to the other but better build quality. Just waiting on the chap who fits them to contact us now. Then the alterations can begin to the fireplace messy job I know but hopefully it will look good again once we decorate.