Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Calls
Finally after many months of searching, I bought a new pair of Apricot Call Ducks this weekend from a very nice exhibitor.  A very scruffy, baby boy (he'll definitely come good during the winter) and a rather pretty, good type 2 year old female.  Now looking forward to possibly having some Call Ducklings next Summer which will be the first for about 4 years.  Slowly introducing them to my resident trio over the next few days.  The Drakes seem cool with the whole idea but my resident Ducks are less than impressed with the new girl on the block - give them some time and they'll soon be pottering around the garden together.  Calls always make good friends with newbies eventually.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 3 users Like april's post:
  • chickenmum, scotsfran, k9crystal
How sweet are call ducks  ...  we kept quite a few a while back but we discovered Mrs Fox had us on her food route.  The calls were in a part were we couldn't use an electric fence, a close by farmer's wife took them and we used to go and visit them quite often.
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

Aw, how lovely. I'd love some ducks (and turkeys and maybe some guinea fowl.....)
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
I'd be quite happy for you to have a couple of calls from me if I have ducklings next year CM (or is it just wishful thinking) ?
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

I am so tempted to have some call ducks - they look so sweet. I have to smile when it's raining - ducks seem to love the wet weather!
having been stuck in a hall with some for 8 hours ... the ducks drive you mad ... how can such a small bird make so much noise ! I do like the males though and thought about having 3 or 4 at home and re using the fish pond for them Big Grin
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
(31-10-2017, 12:02 PM)Nick the Grief Wrote: having been stuck in a hall with some for 8 hours ... the ducks drive you mad ... how can such a small bird make so much noise ! I do like the males though and thought about having 3 or 4 at home and re using the fish pond for them Big Grin

Goodness me Nick.........................where the wotsit have you been ?

The females can go on a bit, especially when they're young or in a new environment.  My neighbours say the quacking cheers them up as it sounds like they're laughing.

Good to see you back Nick!!
I would love to have a few ducks - OH not keen because of the noise though.
But then I'd like a couple of geese too......
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
woot I've been a tad busy at work we are rolling out a complete new system and have been on it for 12 months now so I've not been on much.

I had a few welsh harlequins at the lotty and they weren't too bad but sadly my Gander took exception to them during the breeding season and he killed them before I could step in.

The geese are characters. they know when its time for bed and walk to their shed chattering. and when I pull up before I open the gate to go in they shout to me to let them outBig Grin ...

But I'm still around and pop on now and again
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
(01-11-2017, 06:02 PM)Sutty Wrote: I would love to have a few ducks - OH not keen because of the noise though.
But then I'd like a couple of geese too......

Calls are not constantly quacking - they just alarm when they see/hear you coming or there is something unusual going on - the drakes do not quack - they just make a sort of rasping noise.  Drake Calls live together quite happily and don't need the company of ladies.  I have often sold two boys (or more) in to pet homes where breeding and eggs are not an issue.  Actually eggs are never really an issue with Calls because they lay so few and for a very short season.