Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My elderly ex-batt Agnes
Rainbow 
Bless her.  I rescued her on 15 March 2014 and she pootled round my garden for 3 and a half years.  A smart girl who used to jump right onto the treat bin when I opened it, very friendly and made the loveliest whiffle noises.  I saw she was slowing down and one morning I found her alert but lying on one side.  Brought her in and tried scrambled eggs and sweetcorn but she just wasn't interested.  I made the fatal appointment at the vet and he thought she had a virus not a stroke because she was totally alert apart from loosing her strength.  I knew I had to let her go amid loads of tears.  Just before I let the vet take her she looked me right in the eye as if to say, it's ok, I'm ready to go.  It's a long time since I've cried like that over one of my girls, but she was just kind of special.
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
Awww you tried your best and she obviously had a good home. Three and a half years is good innings for an ex-batt I think? They are so friendly and lovable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotsfran's post:
  • chickenmum
To be tearful is to be human.        I have lost dozens of hens over the years, plus quite a few dogs and cats, and I have cried every time.  Every one of them had a different personality, and even after years, one or more of them crop up in conversation. 

Sweet memories of her L xxx
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

[-] The following 1 user Likes Cockadoodledoo's post:
  • chickenmum
Aww sorry to hear you lost Agnes.  Funny how one or two of them just seem to weedle their way in to your hearts a little bit more than others.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • chickenmum
They are such little characters. The ones i got the other day are very friendly,nosey girls. They have decided that trying to pull off my wellie straps is a necessary job Big Grin
Fly high Agnes,you had a fabulous 3+years and a dignified end.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
[-] The following 1 user Likes k9crystal's post:
  • chickenmum