Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politunnel
Well I think that is how you spell it! Wink

Last year I managed to purchase a second hand politunnel but by the time it was put up it was somewhat late in the season.

Nothing loath, I got stuck in and planted beans, squash, aubergine, corn and tomatoes amongst other stuff. Well! I could hardly see the paths, everything grew nearly to the roof and I couldn't find, never mind eat half of what I grew. Rampant doesn't cover it.

This year I'm going to be a little more restrained. I don't think I need 50+ tomato plants, or 30+ climbing beans.

My tomstoes which are going in the hanging baskets are now up, but I think with another spate of cold weather this weekend I will wait until the middle of next week before putting in any more veg seeds.

What are you guys planting this year?
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
My niece has a poly-tunnel and has the same problem as in growing too much veg and salad crops  Smile Growing by the sq yard and not planting too much helps. Pinch out tomatoes after the third or fourth truss has set and any side shoots help keep the height down.
I will wait until all signs of frost has passed us by before planting anything in pots outside. Smile I want to plant leeks this year as I use a lot of them here. No problem of me growing too many as they will be in pots .
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Hadn't thought of leeks! I like them. Squashes this year will be planted outside this year. They were a nightmare in the tunnel - took up so much room.
squizzers
Sounds like a very successful Poly-tunnel Squizzers!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotsfran's post:
  • Squizzers
This is my first full year with a greenhouse.I have no idea what to do in it really.I did toms last year but i didnt keep them down to reasonable height and they took over!! If i have some this year i will keep them down more.
Any ideas of other things i can do in there??
Im thinking of doing sunflowers this year for one idea.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Salads k9, carrots, beets, radishes, flowers- lots of flowers Smile
squizzers
(16-03-2018, 03:05 PM)Squizzers Wrote: Salads k9, carrots, beets, radishes, flowers- lots of flowers Smile

I dont know that i can be bothered with veggies,so cheap to just buy them.Only me eats salad.MrK9 looks at me like im the devil trying to poison him if i give him so much as a lettuce leaf laugh
Flowers is the way im going to go and strawberries,i started some white pineapple ones last year but it was too late for any fruits.Ive potted up lots of runners so hopefully will have lots of strawberries.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
if you are going to grow one crop ( probably next year now Squizzer) get some red flowered broad beans ... plant them int he tunnel and they'll come a bit earlier but best still, you can save the seed for the next year and the perfume off the flowers will knock you socks off ... It's incredible.

other than that if you grow stuff like cabbages, Kale caulis, squash any excess can be fed to the chucklers... not too much lettuce though as it upsets their stomach somewhat ... and god knows they produce enough normally Big Grin
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick the Grief's post:
  • Squizzers
Like the idea of red flowering broad beans. My broad beans are up but growing slowly. Hopefully they will romp away soon.
squizzers
I have decided not to grow anything this year. It really does take up such a lot of time and I have lots of other things to do in the garden such as painting. I will miss the gorgeous sweetcorn I have grown with huge success for the past 2 years though.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Painting April? What you painting?
squizzers
Sheds, Wood Store, Kennel. Workshop..................and I could go on and on. Bet you thought I meant a nice Rembrandt didn't you ?
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • Squizzers
Lol thought you were in the money big time there! Smile
squizzers