Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poultry auction
Off to a local poultry auction on Sunday.  I have my shopping list, I've marked up the catalogue and I'm going to be very strict with myself !  What's the chances of all that going to plan then ? Big Grin
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Very slim chance Big Grin
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
I have been there and done that.  No need to take a list because you will come back with something completely different.  There are lots of late entries which always catch your eye  Smile Smile Smile
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

So how many did you end up with ?
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
(10-10-2018, 10:54 AM)zenith Wrote: So how many did you end up with ?

Its on Sunday Zenith.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
(11-10-2018, 09:18 AM)k9crystal Wrote:

Its on Sunday Zenith.

Blush See I can't even remember what day of the week it is . laugh
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
(11-10-2018, 11:33 AM)zenith Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 09:18 AM)k9crystal Wrote:

Its on Sunday Zenith.

Blush See I can't even remember what day of the week it is . laugh

rof
[-] The following 1 user Likes k9crystal's post:
  • scotsfran
I was good ! It was a pretty shoddy auction to be honest (certainly compared to a couple of others I've been to). Some of the birds were bought along in the filthiest of condition - it makes me cringe to think what they have been living in. Anyway, I particularly wanted some Pekins to use as broodies next year (for my Call Duck eggs). Came a way with 4 - 2 Isabella pullets, a silver laced pullet and a Columbian hen (poor markings but oh so beautiful even so). Also bought a single Maran pullet (a sort of birchen x speckledy I would guess) - no idea what colour of brown eggs she'll lay but I liked her and know she'll lay well. Didn't go 'off piste' at all but will still need to look out for Copper Black Maran pullets or hatching eggs next year - can't live without my lovely dark brown eggs !
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • zenith
Spring auctions are always better.  I was told once, which really upset me at the time, that because the hens don't lay eggs in the winter and thereefore "don't earn their keep", they are taken to auction. Sad

Glad you were able to get what you wanted.
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

Yes you're right about spring auctions CDD - that's always been my experience BUT there really is no excuse for filthy, greasy looking birds at this time of year - I'd be so embarrassed if my poultry ever looked like that. They're never that dirty, even in the worst of winters - if the run gets muddy, they always have dry areas and a lovely clean house to go in to with fresh bedding for them to dry off in. Disgusting how some people keep their birds. Was a bit surprised by the amount of 'sickly' looking youngsters as well - heads under wings and half closed eyes. I avoided anything like that like the plague. Don't think I'll be returning to this particular auction in the future. Used to have a great one not too far from me but it stopped when we had bird flu and hasn't returned which is a great shame.