Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golden Cuckoo Maran
Bought a dodgy looking 'pullet' from an auction a couple of months back and as I sort of suspected, it has turned out to be a cockerel.  It was listed as a 'Maran'.  Looking at him starting to mature, he looks like a Golden Cuckoo Maran which is something I'd never heard of.  Anyone else got one ?  Sadly, he can't stay but rather than culling him immediately (if this is what he is) I'll take a bit of time to advertise him and see if there is any interest.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

I just googled Golden Cuckoo Maran - beautiful bird. I do hope that you manage to find a home for him April.
Stunning birds.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Yes there used to be a lot of them but they almost died out then a couple had so pop out of a hatching of "normal" marans and they started to select them for the Golden colour and bred them up. About 3 or 4 years ago they gave up keeping chickens and split their flock into two I think and gave them to two different people to breed them ... I'll see if I can find the info for you.
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick the Grief's post:
  • scotsfran