Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infected legs
I wish I'd taken a photo now. I finally caught one of my Plymouth Rock today - I noticed she was starting to limp when running. She had a big scab on the back of her leg which I picked most off - and took the result to the vet (after having sprayed the leg with purple spray as it was bleeding.) I didn't see the vet but she's given me antibiotic liquid to be given twice a day - what fun! The scab was just under  1cm x 1cm x 1.5cm - I've noticed it for a while but thought it was scaly mite. Ordered Harkamectin which I planned to put on all the birds today - the rest bar one are fine, one other hen has a similar much smaller scab. I treated all the birds plus a dollop of vaseline 'just in case'. The scab was yellow inside - almost like solidified pus - and a bit smelly - any ideas how this might have happened?? The other leg also had a similar scab a little bit smaller which got the same treatment. I've also been advised to try and pick all the scab off. Poor girl.
(24-12-2018, 04:20 PM)scotsfran Wrote: I wish I'd taken a photo now. I finally caught one of my Plymouth Rock today - I noticed she was starting to limp when running. She had a big scab on the back of her leg which I picked most off - and took the result to the vet (after having sprayed the leg with purple spray as it was bleeding.) I didn't see the vet but she's given me antibiotic liquid to be given twice a day - what fun! The scab was just under  1cm x 1cm x 1.5cm - I've noticed it for a while but thought it was scaly mite. Ordered Harkamectin which I planned to put on all the birds today - the rest bar one are fine, one other hen has a similar much smaller scab. I treated all the birds plus a dollop of vaseline 'just in case'. The scab was yellow inside - almost like solidified pus - and a bit smelly - any ideas how this might have happened?? The other leg also had a similar scab a little bit smaller which got the same treatment. I've also been advised to try and pick all the scab off. Poor girl.

Could be caused by perching, knocks and infections can easy be picked up. Good that you spotted the problem and they can both be treated.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Did you squeeze the "solid pus" out - this sounds like a variation of bumblefoot which I had in one of my birds. I cut into it and squeezed all the cheesy stuff out, then treated with antibiotics with full recovery. Think I posted it on here somewhere. (I had a bit of trouble with bleeding needing cautery but unlikely if you're just where the scab was)
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
(27-12-2018, 02:00 PM)Sutty Wrote: Did you squeeze the "solid pus" out - this sounds like a variation of bumblefoot which I had in one of my birds. I cut into it and squeezed all the cheesy stuff out, then treated with antibiotics with full recovery. Think I posted it on here somewhere. (I had a bit of trouble with bleeding needing cautery but unlikely if you're just where the scab was)

The scab where the solid pus was all came off in more or less one piece leaving flesh - there were other smaller scabs that I also picked off. The legs look a lot better now and the hen is more lively again. 2 more days of antibiotics to go....