Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noisy cockerel-not !
I hatched a rather nice Buff Orpington cockerel last April, who is in my eyes, a fine specimen apart from a dodgy walk, i think it's his hip. He has only just started to crow, albeit not that loud. Are Orpingtons known for the subdued crowing ? I'm in an urban environment, I wouldn't be allowed to fly a drone in my garden as Heathrow is very nearby and when the planes come in to land they are. according to Flight radar, about 440 feet above my roof. This is why I'm not too concerned about Charlie the cockerel crowing as mainly the first planes start coming in at 04-30am
(28-02-2019, 01:22 PM)eggy Wrote: I hatched a rather nice Buff Orpington cockerel last April, who is in my eyes, a fine specimen apart from a dodgy walk, i think it's his hip. He has only just started to crow, albeit not that loud. Are Orpingtons known for the subdued crowing ? I'm in an urban environment, I wouldn't be allowed to fly a drone in my garden as Heathrow is very nearby and when the planes come in to land they are. according to Flight radar, about 440 feet above my roof. This is why I'm not too concerned about Charlie the cockerel crowing as mainly the first planes start coming in at 04-30am

Well I doubt the cockerel will drown out the aircraft noise  Big Grin so it shouldn't be a problem at all.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
(28-02-2019, 05:56 PM)zenith Wrote:
(28-02-2019, 01:22 PM)eggy Wrote: I hatched a rather nice Buff Orpington cockerel last April, who is in my eyes, a fine specimen apart from a dodgy walk, i think it's his hip. He has only just started to crow, albeit not that loud. Are Orpingtons known for the subdued crowing ? I'm in an urban environment, I wouldn't be allowed to fly a drone in my garden as Heathrow is very nearby and when the planes come in to land they are. according to Flight radar, about 440 feet above my roof. This is why I'm not too concerned about Charlie the cockerel crowing as mainly the first planes start coming in at 04-30am

Well I doubt the cockerel will drown out the aircraft noise  Big Grin so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I would agree with you Zenith! However, I don't know Orpingtons have a loud crow or not - my Wellsummer is a foghorn!
My neighbours all tell me they like hearing mine crowing - low pitched as big birds, may be similar if they even notice him with aircraft noise.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
As long as he isnt crowing very early i think you should be fine.
Im very careful not to let mine out before 7am weekdays, 8 ish weekends.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9