Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100%
Just had my first ever 100% hatch - 18 fertile Shetland eggs and hey presto 18 little chicks.  Absolutely thrilled and whats more they all hatched in 24 hours and all pipped and got out within a an hour or two rather than taking ages.  Got a second lot of  to hatch next week………………….gosh no idea where they're all going if I get another large hatch !!  I'm a very happy chuckler today.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

mega happy  well done hens and boy!! and you for looking after their offspring!! (did you use an incy?) how fab....perhaps you will have 36 lill'uns soon!!  mega happy
Yes the eggs are split between my 2 trusty R-Com Inccys. Got one with slightly splayed legs but already splinted them so should be fine.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Wow ! That's a good hatch April well done .
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
When is the due date for the second hatch April?   hen egg
Jackpot!!
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
2nd lot of 16 Shetlands (just 2 not fertile in the end) finished hatching this morning and hey presto...…………….another 100% got out safely ! This means two 100% hatches. I have been hatching using incubators for about 15 years and I have never had this happen. Did my settings differently this time - also hatched much earlier than usual and obviously very lucky to have such a 'Marvellous Marvin'. Bodes well for one of his son's (who I intend to keep) and should keep a few other poultry keepers happy as well if the boys follow in their fathers footsteps. Hopefully, I'll have a few Shetlands for sale come the Summer.

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • zenith
(09-04-2019, 12:05 PM)april Wrote: 2nd lot of 16 Shetlands (just 2 not fertile in the end) finished hatching this morning and hey presto...…………….another 100% got out safely !  This means two 100% hatches.  I have been hatching using incubators for about 15 years and I have never had this happen.  Did my settings differently this time - also hatched much earlier than usual and obviously very lucky to have such a 'Marvellous Marvin'.  Bodes well for one of his son's (who I intend to keep) and should keep a few other poultry keepers happy as well if the boys follow in their fathers footsteps.  Hopefully, I'll have a few Shetlands for sale come the Summer.

Fantastic results!

Settings differently in what way? My last couple of batches of brahmas I've incubated warmer based on eggshell temperatures.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Sutty, 37.5 all the way through. 50% humidity until candling at day 18 - none pipped internally so left humidity change until day 19 and then raised it to 58%. At first sign of an external pip, which was day 20 on first batch and late in day on day 19 this latest lot, I raised it to 63%.

What a success!! Interesting reading about your incy settings too - well done to all concerned Smile